Random Hesitated/stumble on start-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAC_CFH

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grab a winter coat and drive her up to Canada. Ill have a go at it for you.

spray brake clean all over under the hood.. That should eliminate vacuum leak. wiggle all connectors under hood.. spray them down with a spray bottle.. eliminate connectors.. try and get ahold of wiring diagram and pin out all the wires and do resistance checks on all of them.. spend a buck and go get some gas line de icer.. that should pull whatever water you have in your fuel tank and lines.

You dont by chance have a large stereo in your truck do you? any random heavy load electronics? CB? Amplifier? Flood lights? Laser deathray for tailgaters?

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Grab a winter coat and drive her up to Canada. Ill have a go at it for you.

spray brake clean all over under the hood.. That should eliminate vacuum leak. wiggle all connectors under hood.. spray them down with a spray bottle.. eliminate connectors.. try and get ahold of wiring diagram and pin out all the wires and do resistance checks on all of them.. spend a buck and go get some gas line de icer.. that should pull whatever water you have in your fuel tank and lines.

You dont by chance have a large stereo in your truck do you? any random heavy load electronics? CB? Amplifier? Flood lights? Laser deathray for tailgaters?

haha a summer drive up north sounds pretty awesome honestly, you guys have beautiful country up there. I do have a Kenwood amp and 10" sub. But i've tried putting a heavy draw on the battery with the truck off, to see if i can get it to do it. However it started fine even with the stereo blasting and all 6 headlights running. I've been wanting to purchase Mean Green's Big 3 wiring kit, just to rule out out factory battery cables...

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New: plugs, cap, rotor, coil, and fuel filter on order from Summit. All AC-Delco parts. This will be my last stab at it, next move would be to bring it in to my local mechanic for a professional opinion.

DAC_CFH

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being a truck mechanic.. I would say 50% of the trucks that come in for intermittent problems leave with ridiculous bills.. We have had one truck in for the last month.. drive it every day try to get it to act up.. nothing.

How good of shape is your fuel tank in? You don't have rust floating around in there? loose sending unit? dent in the bottom of it? Dont forget to try the gas line de icer..

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being a truck mechanic.. I would say 50% of the trucks that come in for intermittent problems leave with ridiculous bills.. We have had one truck in for the last month.. drive it every day try to get it to act up.. nothing.

How good of shape is your fuel tank in? You don't have rust floating around in there? loose sending unit? dent in the bottom of it? Dont forget to try the gas line de icer..

that's what i'm worried about... fuel tank is ok, i'm sure it has stuff at the bottom after 16 years of service. Fuel pump was replaced in October '12 with a Delphi unit. i cleaned the ground real good at that time as well.

Can you tell me more about the gas line de-icer?

DAC_CFH

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gas line de icer.. I guess maybe it isnt as popular in the states. I think its basically just methyl hydrate?

I have always used a bottle of it 2 or three times a year.. A bottle being like.. maybe 2 or 3 ounces? so not a lot. Basically just sucks the water out of the fuel. if you have water settling at the bottom of your tank it could be going through your injectors.

Its just a thought.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas line de icer.. I guess maybe it isnt as popular in the states. I think its basically just methyl hydrate?

I have always used a bottle of it 2 or three times a year.. A bottle being like.. maybe 2 or 3 ounces? so not a lot. Basically just sucks the water out of the fuel. if you have water settling at the bottom of your tank it could be going through your injectors.

Its just a thought.

Around here it's usually called Heet or Iso-HEET

You must be registered for see images attach