Random cylinder msifire!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no, the scan tool, isnt needed necessary, for a new distributor, but i would put a new coil on before i put a distributor in, its cheaper and easier if you take yours out, its not hard to line up a stock one, they arent adjustable, so they pop in a certain way. the computer adjusts the timing.

Your thinking about the V6 distributor. On the V8 distributor you can adjust the cam retard, its need to be set to + or - 2 degrees from 0, you can be very careful and make several marks so that you can install it in exactly the same position you removed it.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dident think the vortec v8 distrubitors could be adjusted, dont they have 2 flatspots on them that the hold down slips around.
You must be registered for see images attach

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a distributor hold down clamp on a V6, if you don't believe me go look at your distributor, the hold down clamp is different. It allows the distributor to turn.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is what mine looks like:
You must be registered for see images attach

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if i swap, do i do it the same way as i would in a sbc with an HEI, bring it up on #1 and drop it in with the rotor pointing at 1, or is it a totaly different procedure. This is the first Vortec motor i have ever messed with, always went with an HEI before. Truck runs good, could it be out of time from where they swaped motors and should be running way better?

Reaction score
check the gears on bottom of the distributor. mine got chipped away and caused cylinders 1,3,7 to misfire

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
the vortec motors are not adjustable, i know i have dont intake gaskets on a few in my buddies shop, they can not be adjusted,

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A lot of the vortec 350's are adjustable, they have the same hold down chevy had used for ever, but I have noticed that all the 4.3's use the non adjustable hold down, I personally have a 99 vortec 350 and it has the adjustable one. Also if you do end up buying a new dist. look in to the accel replacement, it is not plastic, and is a much better unit. I have seen a lot of vortec's that miss like what you are refering to, due to sticking/dirty poppet valve's, that is why I switched to the multec 2 type injectors on my 99. Those poppet valve's are about the worst designed njector I have ever seen. Either way I hope you have success fixing your miss.

Reaction score
You have to set the timing with a computer. There is no manual way to do it. Set the distributor as close as you can to the one you removed and then let the computer set the rest. I have done about ten of these and every time I end up down the road at my buddy's shop to finish the job and let him set the timing with his computer. You can't get it right without one.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, it's the cam retard offset and I use my code scanner to set mine as well, you can get them close without one, but you can't get it perfect without the scanner. In effect these distributors act as the cam position sensor, and when the computer recieve's different data from the crank sensor, it will set a code.