Rag Joint / Steering Coupler Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bernard

Reaction score
Heard jeep xj steering shaft is an upgrade.
Ive considered this option, but if it's possible to weld without having to try to find the right parts I would prefer that. Like I said, don't personally see why it would hurt but I could be missing somthing

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It could break and under/oversteer due to the play while turning, which could make it unsafe for you or other drivers.

Why even mess with such jankyness, just do it right. There needs to be some flex there, either by rubber or a joint. Stuff moves.

Bernard

Reaction score
It could break and understeer due to the play while turning, which could make it unsafe for you or other drivers.

Why even mess with such jankyness, just do it right.
Agreed, just found an assembly for around 30$. I just didn't want to replace the shaft

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's cool. Trust me, I'm even someone that will send some sketchy stuff, but its just really worth making things right in that area.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard jeep xj steering shaft is an upgrade.
* ONLY FOR EARLIER TRUCKS! *

The later trucks have a second u-joint in the shaft, and if you install the XJ steering shaft and crank the wheel you can lock your steering at the wrong time. The Jeep joint also doesn't fit early 3500s.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
* ONLY FOR EARLIER TRUCKS! *

The later trucks have a second u-joint in the shaft, and if you install the XJ steering shaft and crank the wheel you can lock your steering at the wrong time. The Jeep joint also doesn't fit early 3500s.

Do the early 3500 even have rag joints? Mine has a thick plastic cover where a joint would be and it's a pita to remove just to look. I only wonder because the steering on my dually has no play whatsoever, and it's on all stock components with 170k.