radio problem anyone help ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YA*AM*A*HEAD

Reaction score
i have a 96 yukon and my radio works for a few seconds to a few minuites ...than no sound ...i have tryied 3 different radios and a different factory amp ....no change ...tired of singing to myself and people riding with me really hate it ...any thing i might have overlooked ?

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
Did you change the wiring harness as well? Sounds like a short or crimped or loose wire.

YA*AM*A*HEAD

Reaction score
i cut the harness away and wired in a new harness end thought i had it fixed cause it lasted about 20 minuites than happened again ...olny way to get it to work again is to unplug the harness from the back of the radio and replug it in ....i have even tryied running it with the amp unpluged and still does the same ...this all started when my local dealer was suppost to fix daytime running lights ...and when i looked under the dash i seen the just installed a peice of jumper wire with the ends stripped too far so i belive the extra wire hit some metal somewere and caused this damage ... i am wondering if it has something to do with the amp relay overheating and kicking off which i havent located yet i have herd its burried in the dash behind the speedo ....also i have noticed i get alot of crackling from the speakers also

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep investigating, run new clean power wires if you need to.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
Yeah that bare wire sounds like it did the damage and blew the amp fuse but not positive. Just take out the guage cluster and I believe that the amp fuse is right behind that but cant remember.

YA*AM*A*HEAD

Reaction score
i took out cluster no luck locating amp relay i hear it back there ...i am hoping i can just run new wires under driver seat and bypass the stock amp and use the wireing from there back ...cause even with amp unplugged it does the same thing ..i was thinking a channel in the radio but works fine in another truck just not mine ...