Radio cutting off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got an aftermarket radio hooked into the OE harness. The past few days my radio just turns off, I have to turn off my truck to get it to come back on, sometimes it does, sometimes not. Is there a relay for it? Whenever it shuts off I hear a relay click sometimes, any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a relay, might be hearing the amp cutting off causing a small signal to be sent to the speakers. The other thing I can think you might be hearing is a small arc on the power wire. Have you pulled the harness to check the connections? Have you checked the voltage at the harness? Most head units have a low voltage cutoff, a bad power connection or ground connection can cause this to trip, if there's no frayed wires or damaged connections, that would be the next thing I check.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a relay, might be hearing the amp cutting off causing a small signal to be sent to the speakers. The other thing I can think you might be hearing is a small arc on the power wire. Have you pulled the harness to check the connections? Have you checked the voltage at the harness? Most head units have a low voltage cutoff, a bad power connection or ground connection can cause this to trip, if there's no frayed wires or damaged connections, that would be the next thing I check.

No I’m hearing a click not coming from the speakers, I’ve been under the dash while turning it off and on and it’s definitely a click sound that turns it on and off that’s why I’m thinking it’s a relay. It just started doing this and there is no way to replicate it or to know if it will come back on ever. Maybe I should just wire the stereo directly to the fuse box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, no relay that I can see on any diagrams I pulled from google. I'd pull the harness from the back of the HU, and measure the voltage at the light green/yellow wire, should be hot at all times. Next check the voltage at the yellow/black wire should be hot when key is on or in accessory. Check the voltages from those 2 wires to the negative battery terminal, and compare that to readings from those 2 wires to the black wire in the harness. If the readings there are the same (within a few mV) then you likely have a problem with the HU itself. If they're different, try running the same test at the factory harness where the after market harness connects. Bear in mind the after market harness may have different color wires than I mentioned, please reference the factory wires to find the corresponding wires on the after market harness. Also note that the diagram I pulled was for a 1997 k1500, you may want to check for a diagram for your vehicle if yours is from before the mid generation facelift.

My best guess from what I've heard so far would be a low voltage cutoff, you're probably getting enough voltage to keep it on, but something else running drops the voltage below the threshold; could be the A/C, lights, turn signals, or some random combination thereof. It could also be an unreliable connection that loses connection due to movement or vibration. Make sure to move the wires around during voltage readings to see if you can replicate the symptoms.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
Could be the aftermarket. I had this problem with a cheap pioneerDEH150, so i got rid of it and put the stock radio in again.