Radiator upgrade input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/KKS618-Aluminum-Radiator-Chevy-wide/dp/B078T4GYWW
Looking to upgrade radiators on my 90 c1500, 5.7, 700r4. Has the original 28" core car radiator. We've owned it since new and it has always ran a little warm on hot days. Have upgraded to 11 blade fan, pusher fan for condenser, quality cap, tstat, water pump, coolant. Runs much cooler than it did originally. Used to hang around 215 in the summer unloaded, now 200ish like it should be. Spend alot of time pulling 3k ish lbs of toys and it will hit 230 pretty easy at 65-70 and we have to slow down and kick ac off. I'm looking at the 3 core radiator I posted above to replace the factory unit. My original intent was to find a 34" core factory radiator with shrouds and hoses but cant seem to find any locally that somebody hasn't put a deer or car through. My question is would I potentially see better results from an additional core and 1" of radiator thickness, or a wider factory unit? Seems as if this aluminum one will fit in the factory shroud with factory hoses. Thoughts?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is EXACTLY what got me started on my truck! I did the T-Stat, water pump, fan clutch, and 3-core radiator.

https://www.radiatorexpress.com/Product/222481/1031106#vehiclefitmenttab

It helped but didn't cure it. Turns out I had a blown head gasket between 3&5 and 4&6 . I'd only lose about a 1/2 gallon of coolant each week or so. I put in a jug of Bars Leak head gasket repair which helped even more (temporary fix).

See signs of burning water
You must be registered for see images attach

Anyway, after almost $9000 later I'm still having fun. Good luck!

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW your gauge sender (between #1 & 3 on the head) probably shows ~10-15* warmer than your ECM sender next to the T-Stat.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is EXACTLY what got me started on my truck! I did the T-Stat, water pump, fan clutch, and 3-core radiator.

It helped but didn't cure it. Turns out I had a blown head gasket between 3&5 and 4&6 . I'd only lose about a 1/2 gallon of coolant each week or so. I put in a jug of Bars Leak head gasket repair which helped even more (temporary fix).

See signs of burning water.

If I was burning coolant or oil i would suspect the same issue. 9000$ ???lol

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

See signs of burning water

The one you have looks alot like the one I'm looking at, except mine doesnt have oil cooler built in

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9000$ ???lol
Yeah, I went with new Summit Racing (made by Trick Flow) aluminum heads, 1.6 full roller rockers, push rods, Lunati Voodoo cam kit, Edelbrock 3704 intake manifold, bored 46mm TB with VFPR (running at ~28psi), headers, JBL Y-pipe, free flowing Cat, EBL Flash2 ECM, 410:1 rear end, yada-yada-yada, lol. Then I blew my 700r4 so, I got a stage 2 and a 2300-2500 stall converter. Still playing with my TBI!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one you have looks alot like the one I'm looking at, except mine doesnt have oil cooler built in
Looks like we're trading posts - yes with the oil cooler, you can hook it up in series with the trans cooler and get double efficiency...