R4 Light Converted to R134, Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Hey guys, got another one of those weird questions for you. So this truck has the original R4 Light style AC Compressor in it, but sometime in '98 it was converted to R134. I'm having hell trying to find the correct style compressor that uses R134 instead of the original R4. Am I just boned and need to find a new AC bracket to fit a newer style (Sanden I think?) AC compressor that came with the Vortec trucks?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
R4 compressor is the only direct fit for your bracket setup. There are some Sanden conversion kits.

BTW R4's were continued for use once refrigerant was switched to R134a; the 1994 and 1995 model trucks still used the R4. The difference between those trucks and earlier is generally the condenser design and the orifice tube design, as well as slightly different charge amounts.

There are a few different places to buy from if you want to do the Sanden conversion; some offer complete kits ($$$) others as simple as just the bracket and you source your own compressor. Search keywords like "r4 sanden conversion" - the Sanden is definitely a better compressor design than the R4, just beware though that Sandens knockoffs are produced in huge numbers by the same Chinese jokers that are selling R4 junk. So just because it's a "Sanden" doesn't mean it's top notch. :) Look closely at what you're buying.

Richard

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
R4 compressor is the only direct fit for your bracket setup. There are some Sanden conversion kits.

BTW R4's were continued for use once refrigerant was switched to R134a; the 1994 and 1995 model trucks still used the R4. The difference between those trucks and earlier is generally the condenser design and the orifice tube design, as well as slightly different charge amounts.

There are a few different places to buy from if you want to do the Sanden conversion; some offer complete kits ($$$) others as simple as just the bracket and you source your own compressor. Search keywords like "r4 sanden conversion" - the Sanden is definitely a better compressor design than the R4, just beware though that Sandens knockoffs are produced in huge numbers by the same Chinese jokers that are selling R4 junk. So just because it's a "Sanden" doesn't mean it's top notch. :) Look closely at what you're buying.

Richard

Helpful as always, thanks Richard!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep just be sure you get a Sanden that will be easy to adapt. Most do not come with a port setup that you can direct-bolt your manifold/hoses to like the original compressor. The full kits come with their own lines. Some people do the compressor themselves and have the lines custom made at local shops. Or, if you hunt hard enough, you can find a head for the Sanden that lets you bolt the original setup to it. In my somewhat fuzzy memory when I looked into this for my truck, there are a couple that look correct but are not - due to orientation or port size. Not all the R4's used on TBI trucks are exactly the same, which makes it a little trickier.

Richard

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 94 has a R4 style pump stock and runs r134 factory. Shoot, the dam thing blows 40 degrees out the vent last time I used it, in Texas, 90 degrees and humid as hell....lol..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reaction score

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My 94 has a R4 style pump stock and runs r134 factory. Shoot, the dam thing blows 40 degrees out the vent last time I used it, in Texas, 90 degrees and humid as hell....lol..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Different condenser and orifice on your factory-equipped R134a truck. :) Makes all the difference. The converted R12 system is at a disadvantage by comparison.

Richard