Questions on 92 LS Swap or 5.3 vortec?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there. My 92 silverado is kind of old and beat up. I have seen some videos on youtube of some really cool modified gmt400's. I kind of wanted to do the same to mine in the coming months. I just had a few questions on engine swaps, transmissions, suspension, brakes, etc. Which engine should i got with? I hear people say LS swap, and some people swap a 5.3 vortec in them. Are they in the same category? What i mean, is the 5.3 vortec the same as an LS1? Also what are the differences between an LS1, LS2, LS3 etc? Not to sure about that. Also, what transmission should i go with? I would want one that could take a nice beating but would be good on a nice highway cruise. As far as suspension goes, the current parts have well over 200k on them. Do i need any specially made control arms tie rods etc? What differential would i use? What gearing? What brakes should i use?

As you can see, im pretty much a noob when it comes to modifications, so i kind of want to write down like a list of things i would need to save up for. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also what do i need to know about lowering my truck? Any coilovers i can go with? Or keep it at stock height?

D_EATON

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First thing to do is get a little plan together on what you want your truck to look like and be able to do. Then get a budget plan and is this your daily driver or spare/project vehicle.

Besides that lowering your truck can be done many different ways, static drop going from a 2/4 drop to a 5/7 drop or putting your truck on bags. Then adding different suspension upgrades to help handling poly bushings, sway bars, end links and shocks to help handling.

As far as engines goes once again budget plays a big part along with what you can do yourself. You can leave a tbi engine stock, mod it with cam and heads and even bore and stroke it. You can also carb swap it if wanted and then go crazy from there. The trendy route these days are LS swaps because the availability of engines and parts, also they can take some serious abuse. Then depending what your are doing with truck and engine you can decide on trans from there along with rearend and gears.

A lot of things to think about but with a idea/plan and deep pockets lol you can do whatever you want with one of these trucks. Search around here and you can find great info to read here along with other places on the web.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers