questions about cluster.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently purchased this truck, and noticed that the shifter needle doesn't move, and the trip odometer doesn't progress either. I have not been into the cluster yet, but wondered if this is a normal issue.

Is it likely just something not connected, or probably something broke? I can fix not connected, but if its probably broke I will have to wait until I can get the parts needed.

There was also what looked like a very fine metal wire loop sticking out of the bottom of the gauges, but I tucked it back in. It almost looked like a fishing leader.

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect before i dig in.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If this is for the '89 in your sig (not everyone can see the sig, is why I mentioned it) - it's pretty common for the tripmeter to croak in the '88-'91 clusters. Not sure why it seems they're more fragile than '92 and later.. IMO the big problem is many people reset them while moving, and you're only supposed to do so when stopped. A gear inside the assembly strips or cracks and the thing quits.

The gear indicator on '88-'94 clusters is operated by that line you spotted. It should have a folded metal clip at the end; if yours doesn't, it's broken. The line wraps around the column and clips on (if you look underneath you'll see an indentation in the shift collar in the area the line clips on) so that the needle in the indicator moves when you shift.

Richard

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Beason. I've got an '89 working cluster that I've just taken out of my truck. You can have it for the cost of postage. It's just sitting on a shelf collecting dust. It has a complete PRNDL and a functioning odometer reset
thats great! please let me know what post would be to 77539.

also, what does that do to my odometer? i have 133K miles now, can i reset this one to match?
EDIT: also, what else you got? :)

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's some pics of the instrument cluster. The clear jewel is cracked but you can use yours. The odometer is actually easy to change, so just swap yours into this cluster. It's just a couple of little screws that have to be removed and unplug the odometer from the circuit board. I'll package it up, and get a quote for shipping. Might not be til tomorrow. The reason for taking out the cluster, is because when I did my LS swap, I also swapped the cluster for a '94 cluster w/tach

Attachments

• DSCN0729.JPG
    DSCN0729.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0730.JPG
    DSCN0730.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0731.JPG
    DSCN0731.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 8

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can set the odometer. It's very fiddly, but it's doable. I shot some how-to video a while back, but it's terribly unwatchable. You can't see what I'm actually doing, and it's a royal pain to try and show it.
If he's in there to try to set it, it'd be easier just to swap his existing one over with the accurate miles already on it.

My take on the whole thing? Since the speedometer calibration is done inside the cluster on 88-91 models, if he has a good cluster being offered to him, easiest route overall is to swap the tripmeter and the gear indicator needle/string assembly from that cluster, into the cluster original to his truck. That way the speedo calibration is a non-issue.

Richard

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can set the odometer. It's very fiddly, but it's doable. I shot some how-to video a while back, but it's terribly unwatchable. You can't see what I'm actually doing, and it's a royal pain to try and show it.
its so much harder to produce a good how to video than a lot of people realize. some of the stuff i record, i go back and watch during editing and im just like "wow, this sucks".. lol

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If he's in there to try to set it, it'd be easier just to swap his existing one over with the accurate miles already on it.

My take on the whole thing? Since the speedometer calibration is done inside the cluster on 88-91 models, if he has a good cluster being offered to him, easiest route overall is to swap the tripmeter and the gear indicator needle/string assembly from that cluster, into the cluster original to his truck. That way the speedo calibration is a non-issue.

Richard
thanks for this, i do like the idea of just moving the good parts to my cluster to keep it original. i had planned to upgrade this one to led before swapping it, but i guess i can still do that. its not my daily so if its down a weekend its not a huge deal.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
While you've got it open for swapping the tripmeter it's trivial to change the bulbs to LED's. They're simply plug-in bulbs in sockets attached to the circuit board.

When you pull the outer housing (black plastic shroud w/lens) off the cluster you have access to remove the gauges and odometer/tripmeter assembly -
You must be registered for see images attach

With the gauges out of the way, the bulbs can be swapped. (Not sure why the forum software chose to rotate that pic but it shouldn't matter for this purpose...)
You must be registered for see images attach

A little attention paid will show you which ones are the regular illumination for the gauges and which ones are indicator lights.

I've never swapped LED's into a cluster so you'll want to get advice from others on what a good brand and part # would be since the diffusion of the light and dimmability are big factors when choosing LED's for a cluster.

Richard