Putting a TPI on a 95 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The computer is in charge of the FP relay. It will run for a predetermined amount of time after it stops seeing RPM.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So any idea why when it has a tbi pump it goes for 3 seconds but vortec 1 second? To these old computers they dont know psi so it shouldnt make a difference. the only thing I can see being a difference is amp draw and if thats going to melt wires or cause a fire...
Its a EP381 pump btw.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well one guy speculated that oil pressure would keep it going. Is it different when you start the engine vs cycle the key?

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ill be starting it up once i get a chip burned with correct injector specifications. im still waiting on blanks

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So when I had the new FP in and played around with the rail installed, apparently some fuel got by and flooded a few of the cylinders. Then, i spent the next couple of days trying to start the truck, which would not, so i assumed was a spark issue, because fuel pressure was fine. I realized the flood, took out the plugs, dried the cyls, and tried again. I got no start again, this time the injectors wouldnt click. I wiggled wires and somewhere along the main harness down the passenger valve cover there may be a break in the fuel injector wires. Ill narrow it down later but for right now its starting up with no codes thrown but jumping immediately in RPMs. Like up to 2000 in 3 seconds, and climbing until i kill it. Its using BLM cell 18.
The chip with CPI enabled and 22lb an hour injectors is what i was running for the above. When i swap back to the factory TBI computer, it idles at 1500 obviously still too high. I get a little white smoke also.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
in my previous post there was a vacuum leak and the LT1 TB wasnt modified for the IAC I forgot to do. It idles great now although i probably need to open the passage up a little more to match the TPI TB. As you can see in the video a small snap of the throttle there is an RPM drop and i dont know why yet.
This was a cold start. Its crazy to see it start so quick. With the TBI, it would always take 3-4 seconds crank before it would finally start.
Next is once I track down a possible broken wire at the ECM, make sure i have good enough vacuum for the brake booster then take for a test drive. then after that fix the wiring mess and make a proper air intake that will pass visual inspection, or buy a CARB exempt one and find a way to make it fit.

You must be registered for see images attach

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This project is now finished. I haven't found any full write ups on the internet anywhere on whats required for the project (more than what I was told there would be) in order to keep the truck working with all factory options (like AC, cruise, etc) so i can do so if anyone is interested. Should that be done in the street build threads?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Put it in a build thread too if you like, but I say post what you know right here to keep everything consolidated. Cool project, nice work!