Putting a TPI on a 95 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey i just registered here and I was checking to see if anyone has done this before. I got a lot of good info from dave w, vaughn, fast355, and a few other people from other boards to get me started and wanted to see if there was anyone over here also that had experience as well. I have everything needed and will start taking stuff apart once i heal from my injuries. So far all i have done is read forums and burn a couple of chips - its about all one can do with 1 arm.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont think youre going to get the performance out of that engine even with the tpi intake on it unless you change out the heads and cam.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This thread is old, it can be deleted if needed. I am about 75 percent finished under the hood. All sensors have a place to sit. Wires just need to be extended or created, some hoses and throttle hooked up, The AC drained and passenger side bracket removed/replaced, drivers bracket put back up, water pump, TB, filter, maybe a few other things. That's all standard stuff and should take 1-2 hours. Once I get fuel lines and fuel pump i can pop in the chip i burned a few weeks ago and hopefully be done. i took pics and made a doc of everything i did if anyone wants it. This thread was intended only for TPI discussion, heads and cam were not mentioned and will come at a later date.

You must be registered for see images attach

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for not updating. I got busy, found I was missing a lot of stuff, had to order it all, wait on shipping, etc. While waiting I ripped everything off and had the uppers powder coated. here is the plenum and pass side runners:
https://flic.kr/p/WXbYkL

I had run all new fuel lines but decided to go back to stock lines. The new lines didnt look right and secure. So I took off about a foot off of the factory fuel lines (that were all up in the way of the runners), had someone weld 6AN bungs, and routed some PTFE lines from bungs to the rail.
https://flic.kr/p/WXbYHE
https://flic.kr/p/WXbZej

Sensors that have to be relocated are now relocated (TPS, IAC, etc). I am using an LT1 throttle body, since it uses the truck's style TPS and i dont have to rewire it. The IAC is different but i have an adaptor for anyway.
Tomorrow im going to bolt everything back up and turn the key and check for 14 psi tbi fuel pump leaks. If none then hopefully i can get someone over next weekend and help get in this 45-50psi pump and try it out then start it up.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I bet it'd at least idle on the TBI pump. Pumps pump volume, not pressure. Pressure is created at the rail by the regulator. May even be able to take it for a spin. If it's lacking, it'd be with your foot in it.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea but volume is in part determined by pressure.
Either way, i am getting some serious leakage from 2 of these injectors from south bay. they arent the same height as factory injectors and dont have the clips that hold them in the rail, but the gaskets are strong enough to keep them in place. they must not be snapped in place very well.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I mentioned idle and low load probably being OK to find stuff like leaky injectors. I prefer factory injectors, flowmatched if they're old as balls, because the data is out there for them that way.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The leaks are gone and just about everything under the hood is done except for a few little things (reorg wires, TPS, decide on heater core, charge AC, find place for canister purge valve). That alternator has no brace on the back because of the TPI bracket and headers, and the alternator is about 15 pounds, so i have just a factory delco on the way from amazon, that makes me feel better 10 pounds has no brace behind it instead of 15.
While waiting on the alternator im trying to figure out what needs to be burned to a chip.

https://flic.kr/p/W8f4bw

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fuel pump is in and when running holds a good 45 psi. I havent started it yet because Im still waiting on blank chips to burn. But when turning the key, the pump comes on, primes to 45psi, shuts off early and the relay gets hot quick. I get like a 1 second prime, whereas TBI pump I would get 3 or 4. Does anyone know if its possible that this newer pump requires more juice and the relay is flipping off because of heat. With the TBI pump, a paper clip jump at the relay was no big deal.

Last edited: