Putting a Caprice engine (L05-7) into a 92 g30 van (has L80e trans)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure, how are you with hexadecimal? They're all written in it but, there are "masks" (.xdf or .adx depending) developed by folks that allow the tables and the operation system to make sense. As an example, you'll need the corresponding .adx file in TunerPro RT to data log and understand what it's saying - no biggie. Some members on these forums have decoded the system and formulated their own files.

Edit: I misspelled "Hexadecimal"
Been there. I have worked on disassemly, code loops, data table location, as well as written XDFs. I have also re-written and patched some coding to make the ECM do different things, like a 7427 PCM to run wideband closed loop, similar to the aftermarket self learning stuff. Basically threw away all the OE closed loop stuff for the narrowband, grabbed the 0-5v signal through the EGR position pin signal connection for the linear EGR and made the stored BLM matrix cells an avergae wideband corrected fuel trim matrix. Been a while since I have done it, but I am sure it would be like riding a bicycle.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These are not my pictures, but basically how the learned BLM cells cover the various areas of the fuel map. The BLM cell window are adjustable by MAP and RPM meaning you can move the areas each cell modifies on the VE table. I made the wideband closed loop system capable of adjusting the whole fuel map and the PCM was never in open loop after the wideband heated up. Fun project with minimal coding work and it ran very well.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Danboquist

Reaction score
OK the biggest thing about these strokers seems to stem from the longer stroke which sucks in a lot more air and the higher horsepower that results.
So it seems that on the lower end of the setup, some timing adjustments may well allow the engine to perform passably.
However, to take advantage of the potential of the engine, the following are recommended:
- 650-750 cfm carb or tbi ($$) (stock tbi => 490-500 cfm, max ~ 275 hp)
- Performance intake
- Headers
- low restriction exhaust
- 1800-2500 stall torque converter
- larger capacity injectors and/or increase fuel pressure.

Other variables/options:
- 2 or 4 bolt main
- internal or external balanced
- heads
- pistons (flattop, dome, etc.)
- roller or flat-tappet (definitely need roller)
- may need reverse flow water pump

From the looks of it this will work for me. I think that I should be able to install it (it is an 86-95 block) and it should run and i can deal with tuning and other stuff after that. I should have a functional vehicle buying minimal extra stuff to get it installed and on the road.

What say ye?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(stock tbi => 490-500 cfm, max ~ 275 hp)
Here's a couple choices. Like I said, I'm running the 46mm TB which is 650 CFM (or 750 with his 54mm), according to them.

- Performance intake
- Headers
- low restriction exhaust
- 1800-2500 stall torque converter
- larger capacity injectors and/or increase fuel pressure.
Yes to all. For the best system, headers, single 3" (or double 2-1/2" with crossover) pipe, high flow Cat,(s) and straight through muffler(s), like my Borla Pro XS. I have a 2500 RPM stall Converter which starts just in its power curve. I'm running an 18 LB spring @ 20 PSI (you can order that spring in the TB from him) on my stock 61 LB/HR injectors, I'm getting 12.5 AFR @ 5700 RPM. I do have a little restriction there - instead of getting 100 Map, I'm seeing 90 - 95. That's why I suggested maybe a 50mm TB.

pistons (flattop, dome, etc.)
The Blue Print engine comes with 12cc pistons and zero deck for 10.1:1 with 64cc heads. With my 62cc ones I'm getting 10.3:1

The reason I'm pushing the 383 (or Blue Print 377 with 4" bore) is, I've tried flat tappet cams, and upgraded to a roller on my 350 (with the same heads) but, the 383 is miles above it in Torque and HP. Plan on getting a locking rear end (like a TrueTrack) and bigger tires for your truck. I can't keep mine from spinning until 2nd gear (with an open Diff and 375R60/15 tires) or I let up on the go fast pedal. If I SLOWLY feed it the pedal without spinning, I'm getting ~7.2 seconds 0-60. HTH :33:

Danboquist

Reaction score
Here's a couple choices. Like I said, I'm running the 46mm TB which is 650 CFM (or 750 with his 54mm), according to them.

Yes to all. For the best system, headers, single 3" (or double 2-1/2" with crossover) pipe, high flow Cat,(s) and straight through muffler(s), like my Borla Pro XS. I have a 2500 RPM stall Converter which starts just in its power curve. I'm running an 18 LB spring @ 20 PSI (you can order that spring in the TB from him) on my stock 61 LB/HR injectors, I'm getting 12.5 AFR @ 5700 RPM. I do have a little restriction there - instead of getting 100 Map, I'm seeing 90 - 95. That's why I suggested maybe a 50mm TB.

The Blue Print engine comes with 12cc pistons and zero deck for 10.1:1 with 64cc heads. With my 62cc ones I'm getting 10.3:1

The reason I'm pushing the 383 (or Blue Print 377 with 4" bore) is, I've tried flat tappet cams, and upgraded to a roller on my 350 (with the same heads) but, the 383 is miles above it in Torque and HP. Plan on getting a locking rear end (like a TrueTrack) and bigger tires for your truck. I can't keep mine from spinning until 2nd gear (with an open Diff and 375R60/15 tires) or I let up on the go fast pedal. If I SLOWLY feed it the pedal without spinning, I'm getting ~7.2 seconds 0-60. HTH :33:
Thank you for this information. I have a steep learning curve going on here and you guys have provided excellent information to help me along.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I emailed the builder about swapping the camshaft in the Caprice engine to an L31 or a GM 6395. He gave no opinion or commentary, just a new price. Ok then..

I have no history of dealing with production engine builders, but I’d like to think that they will change valve springs, pushrods, etc. as appropriate without my having to request that. Who knows? I’ll have to ask I guess.

Anyway, I do have some parts that I can probably reuse.
The blown engine block (3970010 4 bolt) and crank (3932442) are bad, but I do have a TBI intake manifold, (03 GM) casting # 10093015 and a distributor labeled 18 35/5/3840. The old heads are 10110810. It appears to be a 70s block (left hand oil dipstick) that had newer heads and intake.
The accessory brackets are different than on my 91 G30 and others that I’ve see. It had the AAC compressor mounted with the power steering pump on the left and the alternator on the right. I could probably use that same setup.
All of the sensors (and cruise control) appeared to be hooked up fine.
TBI carberator seems to be ok. I may just pull the one off of my 91 to use because at least I know that it works.

I understand that I’ll need a mellonized or steel distributor gear for the roller camshaft.

Is there anything besides the distributor gear, intake, TBI carb, damper/balancer, exhaust manifolds, and accessory mounts that I will need for a long block?

Thanks.
depending on the year of the van it probably had flat tappet cam, and the cars likely had rollers

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
depending on the year of the van it probably had flat tappet cam, and the cars likely had rollers
95% of the 350 trucks and vans had flat tappets during that time period. I have seen a few factory roller cam engines that were factory, but not nearly as common.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

For just transportation, I think the 350 TBI unit will support the RPM of the 383 at stock shift points especially using a very small roller. The TBI heads can also be retained, same for the stock intake manifold and exhaust manifolds. Those vans actually usually had a pretty decent exhaust system, 2.25" outlet logs, into a 2.25" to single 3" y-pipe that was not as horrible flowing as the trucks. The pellet box cat was the worst part of that system and it is a $100-200 to have a nice, high flowing 3" 3-way ceramic core cat welded into its place. Low-midrange torque is going to be what moves the van especially retaining a stock torque converter in the 4L80E and I am guessing 3.23 or 3.73 rear gear it came with. I say guessing because it has not been mentioned or I never saw it anyway and I do not have the vans specifics and the GM Powertrain team combination chart in front of me for that year. GQ1 is base gear (seen a ton of 91-95 G30s with 3.23s), GU6 is 3.42, GT4 is a 3.73 and GT5 is 4.10. Both my 83 and 87 G20s with 305s had 3.08 gears. GM was highway gear all the way on the G-vans unless the customer ordered lower gears, the van had high altitude emissions, or was equipped with a factory heavy duty tow package. The SPID label should be in the bottom of the "glovebox" that is part of the engine cover in that year van.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1992 Chevrolet G30 van that needs an engine.
The only ambition here is to end up with a functional van.
In looking for a replacement engine (rebuilt/reman) I have run across the cam failure issue with the flat tappet cams on break-in, which I do not want to deal with.
A local shop offers a Caprice engine (L05, vin 7) engine with rollers.
My question is if/how it may fit into the van, especially with the 4L80e transmission.
Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
I’m just a lone guy in his back yard.
Since you have posted this, you have fallen into the rabbit hole, and the rest of us were just waiting for you at the bottom of it.
If your only ambition here is a "functional van", you should buy a replacement 350 that will mate up to your 4L80, EBL flash, and make sure you have a proper flowing exhaust. Remember K.I.S.
And this is coming from a guy building a 383 for a 16 year old, so whatever that's worth.