pull a leaf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone pulled the O/L leaf from the rear spring on a 1/2 ton short to lower it just about an inch? Thinking it will drop and maybe ride a little bit smoother and truck will never haul or tow heavy loads. lt already has shackles and bump stops are still on it.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's an OVERLOAD leaf, it doesnt change the ride.
It will ONLY lower the vehicle 5/8" (the thickness of the actual leaf) under normal driving conditions.
Then if you load the bed, it'll drop onto the bumpstops.
Because it's there to keep the rest of the leaves from reverse arching due to being "overloaded". Hence the name "overload leaf".

If that's your goal, not using the bed to carry anything, then godspeed. Itll be just fine!

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well 5/8" isn't enough to bother with. I glanced at it and thought it was a little thicker. Just a thought. Thanks.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Of all the suspension mods I've done to my '98 over the last 20 years, removing the overload was one of the worst ideas.
There was little to no progression of the spring rate.
Start getting happy through the twisties & the suspension would just blow right through the travel. Axle tubes kissin' the bump stops.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Jimmy, I did this when I first bought mine. It will ride better but you are seriously limited as what you can haul or tow. Go buy some 2" lowering shackels it will be best choice.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well 5/8" isn't enough to bother with. I glanced at it and thought it was a little thicker. Just a thought. Thanks.
if you pull the overload and overload you prob can put a little bit of bend into your springs with the right pothole(and worn shocks) and if you do it right maybe it will level side to side LOL

Joking, dont ssuggest this. Bent leafs are dumb. dont ask how i Know >.>

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it's already got the 2" shackles, I'd just like an inch or so more but not a 4" drop. I have removed leafs before on other trucks and gained a bit smoother ride and lower stance too, albeit reduced load capacity but my trucks were/are never to haul heavy loads. I have a trailer and a larger truck for such needs.
Thanks for your input y'all.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's already got the 2" shackles, I'd just like an inch or so more but not a 4" drop. I have removed leafs before on other trucks and gained a bit smoother ride and lower stance too, albeit reduced load capacity but my trucks were/are never to haul heavy loads. I have a trailer and a larger truck for such needs.
Thanks for your input y'all.
Yeah, idk why my brain failed to comprehend that the truck already has shackles. My bad.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are drop leaf hangers available. The forward leaf hangers can be replaced with 2" drop hangers. That should help.
Also, they are usable on both 2wd and 4x4's.