Proportioning Valve(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking of bypassing the ABS unit in my 96 K1500 and had a question on proportioning valves from the 88-94s. Are they all the same? What I mean is are they the same for the bigger and smaller rear drums and are they the same between the 1/2, 3/4, and 1-ton trucks? I've got a SF14-bolt in mine that comes with bigger drums and cylinders. I've also got 1-ton calipers on the front too. How screwed up would my bias be if I got a proportioning valve from a small brake C1500, vs. a 1-ton? Also, I can't find these anywhere new, can anyone?

Oh yeah, after doing all sorts of things to the truck's brakes: 3500 calipers, stainless lines, new MC, rear brakes, new cylinders, pads, countless bleedings, the thing that made the biggest difference was pulling the ABS fuse...go figure.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Don't know bout the valves interchangin but deleting my ABS was the best thing I did to my brakes. On my 92 it was super easy. Just removed abs components and the rear brake line fitting screwed right into the prop valve. Even if the fitting is different u can get an adapter.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can get them from rockauto and amazon. They aint cheap one for my 88 k1500 is like $70 and comes with a bracket.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't know bout the valves interchangin but deleting my ABS was the best thing I did to my brakes. On my 92 it was super easy. Just removed abs components and the rear brake line fitting screwed right into the prop valve. Even if the fitting is different u can get an adapter.

The 96's don't have the same system as the earlier models, so we don't get the proportioning valve that yours has.

you can get them from rockauto and amazon. They aint cheap one for my 88 k1500 is like $70 and comes with a bracket.

Cool, thanks. I'll have to look into a junk yard first then.

Having the ABS light lit is annoying, but not nearly as much as having ty brakes. :)

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have one in the first place. The front to rear bias is handled by the ABS module (I think).

I'll do some parts searching and see what I come up with.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
go to the junkyard and get a distro block from a 88-94 and is it to replace the abs unit. you will also need a t for the front lines.

check the sticky it has info for 95+ in it

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Derr.... That doesn't make sense to me. U should have a prop valve. Post a pic of what yer dealin with at the abs unit.
There is not a separate valve like the 88-94 have by their MC. I'll have to take a closer look, but both front and back lines go directly into the ABS module from the MC.

go to the junkyard and get a distro block from a 88-94 and is it to replace the abs unit. you will also need a t for the front lines.

check the sticky it has info for 95+ in it

Thanks. That's what I was reading earlier that made me think about if different sized proportioning valves exist. If there are different sizes, I'll just buy an adjustable one for the rear, since my brakes are miss matched.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the block from a 1500 will have the same flow as you abs unit is giving you now so i would just get one from a 1500 and try it if it is no good get one from a 2500 or3500 but i don't see an issue. also get it from a junkyard as my computer shows them costing $274.74 from the stealership