proper timing sequence

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently changed intake gaskets and now the timing is out but what is the proper sequence to time a 88 TBI motor?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get the truck up to normal operating temp., then shut the truck off and remove the black plastic wire connection center cover from the passenger side firewall, there is a single tan wire with a black stripe that has a connector on it, unplug it that is the est or computer controlled advance wire. Once it's unplugged restart the truck set the timing to 0 degree's, then shut off the truck reconnect the est wire, and you are done. Also while the wire is unplugged the service engine soon light will come on and that is normal it will go off when you reconnect the wire.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On those you need a live data scanner and in the live data the CMP or cam retard offest need's to be at 0 +or- 2 degree's, that is the only way you can time a vortec.

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warner Robins GA (South of Atlanta 1.5 Hr)
I really hate to threadjack, but is the sequence for a 91 5.7 TBI the same as the 88? i can't find the Tan wire with a black stripe. right now, at hot idle, the timing is at mabey 14 degrees and running real good, i had to play with the timing a bit because my truck was a absolute pig. trying to get it where it needs to be.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really hate to threadjack, but is the sequence for a 91 5.7 TBI the same as the 88? i can't find the Tan wire with a black stripe. right now, at hot idle, the timing is at mabey 14 degrees and running real good, i had to play with the timing a bit because my truck was a absolute pig. trying to get it where it needs to be.

Yes the procedure is the same for your 91. The wire may not be under the accessory cover, check around the wire harness to the dist. Was thinking the one on my 92 was around there but it has been a while since I set the timing.

Last edited: