Project Yukon HD (1996 Yukon c1500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Well I got a little farther today, but I didn't get a chance to gusset the bumper by the hinge due to the grinder dieing. I also need to shorten the tire plate mount, it sticks out more then I want it to fully compressed. I'll probably do that either on Saturday or Monday.

I can still open the glass of the hatch with the swing in place, which I like.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then I took one of the front wheels off so I could see which holes I needed to use in the tire plate and marked them. I can actually use 4 holes so I might pick up another wheel stud or I'll use that hole for some kind of wheel lock... or drill out behind one of the Ford bolt pattern holes and use that for a wheel lock.

Then I chamfered the tube for the mounting plate. (I will be taking this back off and cutting it shorter so the tire hugs the swing)

Tacked the tube into place on the top of the upright. (ended up moveing it down 2")

Tacked the tire plate to the inner tube.

Slid the tubes together and tightened the bolts.

(I'll be cutting a little off the outside tube and some off the inner tube later on, you'll see when the tire is mounted it sticks out kinds far and this is supposed to be adjustable and as it sits it's all the way in and I'd like some adjustment room.)

Then I was going to mount the tire... Well my short 5'-7" had some trouble and I had to set it down on the bumper to regrip... It was still tough to get it up there, it's pretty heavy also.

This is mounted before I lowered it 2". I kinda liked it up high, but It also took a while to get it up there and also I don't plan to go too much bigger in tire size so I'd never need all that room underneath.

(you can see just how much room is behind the tire, so I'll be cutting it shorter on both tubes and hopefully I can reduce that gap and actually get into the adjustment of the thing.)

Another picture of the rearview mirror. I like how it turned out, I can actually see if I look out over my shoulder... unlike my Jeep.

Side view

Open 90°

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
And open all the way it actually hits the truck... So I drilled another hole later on that keeps it from hitting.

Then after I lowered the mount 2" it started to get pretty nasty outside. But it didn't get as bad as it did in town, just a pretty cool lightning show.

Tire moved down 2" and where it will stay. (Still need to shorten the mounting tubes)

90° open.

The new hole open location. I will be filling up the other hole and making a stop so it can't hit the truck if someone opens it and misses the hole.

I need to trim some of the driver side support so it doesn't hit the tailgate.

Then I boxed in the latch end of the bumper since it was moving quite a bit with the tire on it.

Then I started to cut some plate to gusset the backside of the bumper by the hinge... but that's when my grinder decided it was going to eat itself. So I'll be picking up a new one tomorrow but like I said, probably won't work on it again until Monday.

So what I have left is to gusset the hinge side of the bumper, make some CB antenna mounts, shorten the adjustment tubes for the tire plate and re-tack into place, and trim some of the driver side upright support to clear the tailgate. Then I think I'm done besides some other odds and ends and also fully welding the hinge and tire plate/tubes at my buddy's house.

'Til next time!

Last edited:

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Well, I can pretty much say I'm done with the tire carrier. Just some small things left to do but the majority of it is done.

I started off today finishing the support plate for behind the hinge mount and then welded it in. It goes from behind the hinge mount to the bumper mount. It beefed it up enough that it's not twisting like it was. It's just lifting the whole side, which should be fixed when the wing supports are bolted to the frame.

Then I went and shortened the inside out outside tube for the tire mount. I cut about 1.5" off both.

Then I re-chamfered the edges and tacked them respectively.

I'm actually in the adjustment range now.

Then I cut and drilled a piece of angle and welded it on the swing for another ID bar with reverse light since the one on the truck is now covered by the swing. I was hoping to go above it but it just didn't work out that way with where I had to put the hinge and where the tailgate landed.

This is where the tire sits now. I'm much happier where it sits now.

Then I ground down and welded the uprise support that was touching the tailgate.

Then I welded some small square tube to the swing for wire management for the ID bar.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
I also trimmed up the t-handle catch and welded up the old hole.

And that was it. Like I said, I'm pretty much done now. Just CB tabs, burning the hinge and tire plate in, probably some kind of flag mount(s), and some other odds and ends. I should be able to do that next week. I'll also try to figure out some kind of wheel lock to go along with locking lug nuts.

'Til next time!!

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Well, I did a little today.

First I went and stitch welded the frame mount for the steering stabilizer.

Then I took the driver side brush guard "wing" off and welded the bottom back together.

Then I was going to cut and weld on some CB antenna tabs... Then I thought, my not just do what I did on the stock bumper and drill a hole in the top. Keeps it from having a cable hanging out the bottom and also keeps it away from the swing.

Took some measurements, marked the spots, and center punched the spots.

Then my ELM327 bluetooth dongle came in. Been wanting one for a while, even though I already have a OBD reader, I wanted this for the extra guages and live data. It's a OBDLink LX, it was pretty pricy at roughly $53 after shipping, but it was the one I found that supported the OBD protocols of the early OBDII vehicles. I should also be able to get a couple of PC apps and do some pretty cool advanced diagnoses that cannot be done with the cell phone apps. The 2 for $10 adapters I bought before didn't work on my Jeep or Yukon but I believe they will work on 07+ vehicles.

Anyway, I spent some time messing around with that for both my Jeep and the Yukon.

Then I drilled the 1/2" holes in the bumper for the CB antennas.

This is what I will be using for a secondary wheel lock. It's a 1/2" socket head cap screw with an allen head face that I will be using a rubber washer to keep from scratching the rim and I will be drilling a hole on the back side to put a lock through it. Would like to get another one (if I could find one) or even get a size bigger or so (again, need to go to a hardwear supply place to get them).

Then I started to cut pieces to make my flag mounts, but I took a break and ate dinner... Then I was told my birthday party/get together would be next Saturday the 2nd. So I had to run into town to request the day off in the system since schedules are made on Tuesday for the next week.

Then all I got done was got the plates started. Drilled 4 holes and welded some nuts to them. That will be the backing plate just so I can get a 1" tube welded upright to hold the flag poles.

Here's me welding the two flat bars together to make one for the driver side.

Then I did the same as I did on the passenger side and welded the nut to it, and that was it. Hopefully I finish the flag mounts Wednesday and then I'm almost positive that's it. Besides burning in the hinge and tire plate, and also marking where to drill for the allen head bolt for the lock. I'll do the High-Lift/Jerry cans later when/if I get them.

'Til next time.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Well after work today I decided to work a little more on my flag mounts. They ended up a wider than I wanted them but they are not too bad, plus it brings them out away from the CB antennas so hopefully they don't hit one another. Plus I'll only really have one side (passenger side) flying most the time. The driver side one will be for when I go to football games and if I want to fly 2 flags.

One thing I will say though... People are definitely followers. I started flying an American flag on my Jeep years ago, a little over 3 years, and at that time I rarely saw others fly flags. Fast forward to today, I see trucks all the time with American flags flying. I think a lot of them are High Schoolers but I know they all aren't. I guess it's kinda cool to have started something like that but at the same time it's not as unique as it once was.

Started by building up the top, 90° outside, and the bottom.

Then I ground down the welds and smoothed the edges out.

Then I boxed the passenger side in.... Man I hate the splatter on flux core wire.

And that was it, didn't work on it too long tonight. But tomorrow I should have both mounts done. Then I'll probably work on that allen bolt wheel lock, then that's probably it besides final welding with my buddy's welder, unless I'm forgetting something. So I might go ahead and wire the new trailer light pigtail and also drill some holes to route wires from the swing and also the licence plate LED strip.

'Til next time!

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Well I got quite a bit done today. Pretty much everything I need besides drilling two holes to route wires and burning in the hinge and tire plate.

Started off today boxing in the flag mounts and smoothing the welds.

Passenger side.

Driver side

Then I shortened some bolts that will be used for the flag pole.

Here is a 10' piece of 3/4" copper pipe that I cut in half for the flag poles.

Then I took a 16" piece of 1" square tube that I had left over from when I made the flag mounts on my Jeep and cut in half and used them for the mounts for the Yukon.

Here is the holes drilled in the tube through the copper pipe.

Here is the passenger side mount done. The 1" tube welded to the brackets.

Driver side done.

Shot of both mounts and the bumper.

Then I started on the wheel lock. Here is the 1/2" allen bolt with a washer that I shaved down and two 1/8" thick rubber washers that I also trimmed down from about 2" wide.

Here it is bolted in the tire plate. You can also see my other lock nuts.

Then I marked the bolt and then drilled a 1/4" hole in it and cleaned up the threads with a die.

Here is the lock through the bolt. It's a Reece coupler lock.

Then I put some washers between the lock to tighten the gap.

Here's the bolt reinstalled with the lock on it.

Then I decided to go ahead and wire up the trailer pigtail for the new style 7 blade/4 pin connector. I was going to wire in the wires for the ID bar on the swing but it got too late and decided to do that later.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
While I was preparing the wires I came across this. I found it months ago when I installed my other ID bar and could never find anything on it. It's a thin gauge white wire that's with the trailer brake and AUX power wires. I can't really read the tag anymore but I think it says "WHT FEED" then "BRK SW-" I don't know if that means it's the brake switch feed or what. If anyone has information on it or has a wiring diagram for that harness/tow harness that would be great. I might post a thread on it tomorrow to get more opinions on it.

Then I started to take the trailer wires out of the harness.

Then I soldered most the wires; Ground, Tail Lights, Right Turn, Left Turn, and Reverse.

Here's me soldering the Brake feed and AUX wires.

Then I taped everything up.

Here's the pigtail and then the plug mounted.

And here is the hole bumper...with everything so far.

And that's it. Like I said, I'm pretty much done... and I'm sounding like a broken record but anyway I can hopefully get this done and painted over the weekend or by early next week.

'Til next time!

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Yesterday I went over to my buddy's to weld up the big stuff. There welder is a ESAB Migmaster 210, I love that welder compared to ours. But ours does do the job, just slower and with more splatter.

Here's the hinge welded, and of course the first pass is great, except when I hit my flux core tack in the middle. That welder doesn't seem to like welding over flux core. Then my other passes on the top and other side are strong, just not as nice as the first pass, went a little wide on the pass.

Then here is the tire plate.

Here is the tube welded to the upright.

I also tacked the wheel studs in the tire plate since the studs were a little loose in the holes.

And that's it. I should be doing some final smoothing tomorrow, maybe adding some bracing on the outer tube on the tire plate, drilling some holes in the bumper for wire routing, and then paint. I might have it mostly done tomorrow if not all done.

'Til next time!

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Alright, well today I finished up the bumper and started to bedline it... but I ran out. So I'll pick up two cans tomorrow and finish it up and get it mounted. Also ordered up a new condenser and hopefully the orifice tube will fit in this one and hopefully it'll be here Thursday so I can start to drive this thing again after I get the bumper on. It's too hot and humid to be driving without A/C. Though I did drive it into town Saturday and Sunday night to the fireworks, it was nice to drive it for that.

Anyway, I started out welding up the top of the upright (as well as the side by the latch that I didn't do) and I welded a ring onto it because I'm going to use a cable lock to lock the tire plate to the swing since the adjustment sleeve can just be unbolted and slid out. I mean, if someone wants the spare tire they'll find a way to take it. Just to keep people honest.

Here is the hole for the ID bar wire and also the routing.

Then I painted the T-Pin and the bolt for the hinge in regular black paint.

Then I taped up the bearing tube and the latch handle to get ready for paint.

Here's another picture of the hole for the ID bar wires and you can maybe see the piece of steel for the stop so the swing doesn't keep going and hit the truck. Then also the hole for the license plate LED wires.

Then I started to spray the bedliner on the swing.

Then I took some solid rod and bent it to make the other part of where the cable lock will go through and welded it on the tire plate.

Then I spent about an hour wire wheeling the bumper inside and out to get ready for bedline and then I started to paint and got the inside and some of the outside done before I ran out of bedline.

Here's the tire plate bedlined.

And here is the bumper and swing stored until tomorrow when I finish bedlining them and get them mounted for good.

That's it. Like I said, I should be 100% done with this tomorrow and I'll be using my buddy's spare rim and tire that has a 33x12.50 General Grabber on it until I get another Anthem and Kanati tire. Also hopefully I'll have working A/C by the end of the week.

'Til next time!