price on new paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You get what you pay for.

:word: Sure, you can get it done cheaper then that. But do you really want to? Paint and body is somewhat my expertise. The aqua green metalic on your truck, (in PPG Deltron) runs about $800 a gallon, MY cost. Now thats WITHOUT any thinner or hardner. Now besides the base, you also need primer, sealer, clear, thinner & hardner (for the clear), misc materials etc. Now thats over $1000 dollars right there. Thats with no labor. And also, the cheaper the estimate, it's more then likely there going to use a lower grade paint (like omni or similar, which is GARBAGE!!!) and cut corners. Such as not wetsanding and cutting the final paint, lower grade materials, and they probobly have a 19 year old kid in the booth and doing the prep work. Also, the shop that wants to remove the bed, is probably going to be the better of the two. Is there a need to remove the bed on a same color paintjob? Not nessasarily, but attention to detail like that is what defines an okay paint job from a head turner paint job. Another thing to keep in mind, is that to get a really good finished product, it takes a LOT of time block sanding, that's the main reason why good paintjobs tend to run more money, the prep work is what makes or breaks a paint job. Well thats my .02 anyhow bud :cheers:

6789olds

Reaction score
:word: Sure, you can get it done cheaper then that. But do you really want to? Paint and body is somewhat my expertise. The aqua green metalic on your truck, (in PPG Deltron) runs about $800 a gallon, MY cost. Now thats WITHOUT any thinner or hardner. Now besides the base, you also need primer, sealer, clear, thinner & hardner (for the clear), misc materials etc. Now thats over $1000 dollars right there. Thats with no labor. And also, the cheaper the estimate, it's more then likely there going to use a lower grade paint (like omni or similar, which is GARBAGE!!!) and cut corners. Such as not wetsanding and cutting the final paint, lower grade materials, and they probobly have a 19 year old kid in the booth and doing the prep work. Also, the shop that wants to remove the bed, is probably going to be the better of the two. Is there a need to remove the bed on a same color paintjob? Not nessasarily, but attention to detail like that is what defines an okay paint job from a head turner paint job. Another thing to keep in mind, is that to get a really good finished product, it takes a LOT of time block sanding, that's the main reason why good paintjobs tend to run more money, the prep work is what makes or breaks a paint job. Well thats my .02 anyhow bud :cheers:

thanks for all the good info . looks like i might just save up till i can get it done right . cause i am looking for a good job equal to the oem quality paint job no runs or fish eyes . or orange peel . cause i cant stand shiney paint with all those defects .

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No problem man. BUT a good paint job, will come out looking way better then it did the day it rolled off the assembly line. So shoot for better then it was when it was new. That's my mindset for every build that comes into the shop, and with that mindset they always do.

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What he said I run a shop with my dad a 1,500 paint jobs a joke you couldnt buy all the materials u need for that much. Save up you want it to be nicer when you get it back than when it went in lol.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is a story that I know all to well, but absolutely you do get what you pay for! Good work ain't cheap, and cheap work ain't good!

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maaco does really cheap paint jobs but they are junk. I bought a f250 that had just been painted by maaco. 6 months later i took it muddin and didnt wash it right after. left the mud on it for about 3 days before i washed it. when i washed it the paint came off with the mud.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a story that I know all to well, but absolutely you do get what you pay for! Good work ain't cheap, and cheap work ain't good!

:word: Good work aint cheap, but on very rare occasions cheap work is good! I got a friend across the lake from me that does like A++++ Work for cheap! He does the collision jobs that the local body shops don't wanna touch. I had him do some frame work for me a couple years ago (i don't have a frame rack) and he charged me like 250 bucks for i bet 15 hours worth of work But in short; 99.999999% of the time, if you want quality work done, you have to pay a premium price. Which in the end is deffinatly worth it. In our shop, we get $50 an hour, and everything that rolls out leaves better then when it rolled off the line new.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maaco does really cheap paint jobs but they are junk. I bought a f250 that had just been painted by maaco. 6 months later i took it muddin and didnt wash it right after. left the mud on it for about 3 days before i washed it. when i washed it the paint came off with the mud.

Amen to that! Maaco is pretty much the laughing stock of the auto body world (no offense to anyone affiliated with them). They like to use the scuff and shoot method. Scuff er down and hit her with the gun real quick lol

jsisk

Reaction score
move to wv a top of the line custom job is only about 1500 to 2000 bucks