Preparing for the Inevitable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lately the 4L60E in the truck takes a moment to go into reverse when cold and 1st to 2nd shift is somewhat more harsh than normal. All of these symptoms go away when the truck is warmed up. Besides that it shifts and drives normal.

What am I potentially looking at here? If a valve in the body is going I'd like to nip this in the butt before it starts wearing things that are harder to get to. The guy I bought the truck from said the transmission was rebuilt 1-1/2 to 2 years ago.

I've searched and Google without much luck.

Any help would be much appreciated,
-D

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The delay in reverse doesn't sound good.... Most common reason, is the rubber lip seals on the reverse piston get hard. Is it worse on cold mornings? You can buy some time with some Lucas.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Have you checked the fluid while warm and running? My C6 does that when the fluid is low.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck does the samething in reverse when its cold 1-2 are fine. Im a big fan of the Lucas Transmission Fix and use it in both of my trucks.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that's the stuff.... It will get in there and soften up the seals a little bit. In the mean time, crank a little early and let the transmission warm up.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Start by just checking the fluid. I've used Lucas with great success in my motors but not in my transmissions. I've had one 4L60E and one 700R4 go out shortly after adding a bottle. Could have been coincidence but once you start to pour out the Lucas you will see it has the consistency of cold tree sap. I do use their oil stabilizer and fuel additives, I won't use the trans stuff again though.

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start by just checking the fluid. I've used Lucas with great success in my motors but not in my transmissions. I've had one 4L60E and one 700R4 go out shortly after adding a bottle. Could have been coincidence but once you start to pour out the Lucas you will see it has the consistency of cold tree sap. I do use their oil stabilizer and fuel additives, I won't use the trans stuff again though.

You aint the only one. I put lucas in a turbo 350 one time and a day or 2 later it started slipping bad