Preload - removing K1500 Lower Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to know if it’s really necessary to remove preload using a tool at the torsion key when removing lowers stamped 1995 K1500 control arms? I’m doing a full bushing and ball joint and bearing and cvj replacement. I would think that if it’s in the air and not loaded and the upper arm/knuckle removed then it’s unloaded so a tool isn’t needed. I’m really wondering if I need to order a tool before I start? I’ve read the cheaper torsion bar preload tools don’t work well. Any info from experience would be appreciated!

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I would like to know if it’s really necessary to remove preload using a tool at the torsion key when removing lowers stamped 1995 K1500 control arms? I’m doing a full bushing and ball joint and bearing and cvj replacement. I would think that if it’s in the air and not loaded and the upper arm/knuckle removed then it’s unloaded so a tool isn’t needed. I’m really wondering if I need to order a tool before I start? I’ve read the cheaper torsion bar preload tools don’t work well. Any info from experience would be appreciated!

Make sure you mark your TB's left and right. I also mark mine so that they go back in with the same end forward.