Power window randomness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the other day I had to panic brake and swerve in the middle of a lane change while I was putting on my right turn signal.

I immediately noticed my left turn signal stopped working and about 10 minutes later I noticed the driver's power window stopped working.

A couple days later the turn signal returned to normal, but I kept trying the window and nothing.

Today, about 10 days later, I was getting my eggamuffin and forgot my window was broken. I tried the window anyway and it suddenly works.

I'm not terribly motivated to tear into it right now, but I though I would ask if this is common.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's just the 1 window the connector from the switch to the regulator motor may be loose. I did that when I replaced all of my door locks, actuators, and switches - I didn't get that connector fully snapped together. After a while it vibrated loose.

I don't know how that would be related to your turn signal though unless they share the same power supply?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I wouldnt expect the window to be related to the turn signal just a coincidence.

yes this is common because the drivers window is used more often and is most likely to have been rained on. almost all of these problems can be fixed with some patience, electrical contact cleaner and various little sanding picks and or a small flat head screwdriver. I modified a steel nail file for such purposes. take the window switch completely apart and clean the contacts. electrical contact cleaner, nail polish remover or acetone, rubbing alcohol, vodka? LMAO any of these should remove the corrosion and dry up fast. then reassemble.

you only need to remove the door skin to access the window switches.

I have fixed 3 of these with a small disclaimer that the old plastic clips or parts may be very brittle and have to be glued or taped back together. so far I have only broken the passenger windows off buttons.

the goal for any of these simple switches is simply to remove the corrosion off of the circuit board contacts where the buttons press. most of them can be fixed.

Al

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a 25 year old truck that GM expected to last 3 to 5 years . Their normal expectations were 3 years (payout) for the first owner, trade for new one and a year or two with the 2nd owner and on to the junkyard. They really built a far better truck than they thought and this oversight has certainly been corrected with later models that ARE in the junkyard!

Stuff like contacts, solder joints in the wiper box, grounds, and yes switch contacts and capacitors in the radio are the sort of things that will go in a vehicle this old. In your intro you mentioned how terrible the radio is. If it works at all it is probably better than you think. Contact cleaner will fix tuning and volume irregularities and finish the job with new speakers.

Speakers are major pain in the ass because your Z71 has the high trim package and getting to the pillar speakers is very difficult. The front speakers are easy. I assure you that all the speakers are shot so old radio or new they will need replacing. If you are planning to go the bluetooth route you may wish to get one of the factory look alike radios and only do it once

Welcome to the forum, you have what looks like a fine example and with TLC will last another 25 years easily.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OBSOkie