power window issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T1najero

Reaction score
i have some issues with my 1996 k1500 regarding its power windows.

starting off ive always had to play with the switches or press at an angle for the windows to go down without getting stuck. just this past week the drivers side window stopped working i dont have the bezzles just the switches sticking out. i had new replacement switches, put it on the drivers side window still wont work. the lock button does and switch for the passenger window does. just today it started working as i was going into work but after that it wont. no matter how hard i press or what angle. any idea what it could be ? ive checked the fuses and relays and even put new ones in and still no difference. anyone have an idea how to fix these issues? i regularly post in a couple groups on Facebook but no one gave me a response for this.

previous owners wired the power windows to always work even when the truck is off / when the key is out of the ignition

according to the factory build sheet it came with power windows , mirrors. but they disconnected it and changed to aftermarket mirrors.

when using the window switches you can hear my fuel pump surge, i already know that my fuel pump is weak and in need of a replacement soon. just haven't gotten to it

attachments below are how the wires look and how im missing the bezel , i took off the electrical tape to snap a photo.

thank you electrical gurus in advance..

Attachments

• IMG_1456.PNG
    IMG_1456.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1457.PNG
    IMG_1457.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the rubber boot between the door and the body, sometimes the copper wire will break, but still be connected with the rubber coating.
Last summer, I fixed a friend of mine’s 2008 Silverado same problem three wires in the rubber boot were broke if you reached in and grab the rubber boot and moved it around the window would work and then stop.
Another way to check is open the door wide open press the switch as you slowly close the door and see if the window will start working. I had that problem on my 1990 and it was a broken wire in the rubber boot..