Power steering pump - Any factory performance upgrades from GM for my 96 Z?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm just wondering if GM made a higher flowing power steering pump for maybe the 2500 or 3500s that had 350s in them, that would would fit on my 96 1500 Z71 and give me a little upgrade. I did a search and really couldn't find any information on the topic. However I did look on Rockauto and saw the pumps had different part numbers from the 1500s to 25/3500s, so something is different.

Main reason I'm asking is because the bearing in my pump is on its last leg and squeaking like a SOB... Driving me nuts :nono: So if there is a possible upgrade to be had, I'm all ears. Gonna be running some bigger tread here shortly too so it would be a nice upgrade. Thanks guys.

RR

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The different pump numbers could be for the pump with reservoir that had provisions for Hydroboost. Also 97+ trucks had variable power assist steering and the pump itself has provisions for this; a valve I think. I'm not aware of any differences in pump performance though.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
The different pump numbers could be for the pump with reservoir that had provisions for Hydroboost. Also 97+ trucks had variable power assist steering and the pump itself has provisions for this; a valve I think. I'm not aware of any differences in pump performance though.

Ok thanks for the reply bro. Very possible that you are correct and there is no performance difference.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Ya, I don't know if you would see anything at all by switching pumps. It makes me wonder though. I've got everything but the pump for a hydroboost setup and I was thinking that maybe the pump might have to push more volume due to the hydroboost. IDK though.

I'm going to order a PS pump from a C3500 for my 97 1500 when I do my swap.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Ya, I don't know if you would see anything at all by switching pumps. It makes me wonder though. I've got everything but the pump for a hydroboost setup and I was thinking that maybe the pump might have to push more volume due to the hydroboost. IDK though.

I'm going to order a PS pump from a C3500 for my 97 1500 when I do my swap.

Yea I'm gonna do the same as well, gonna go ahead and order the 2500-3500 pump setup for hydroboost just to find out. Nothing really to lose in trying.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the 454 and the 6.2 used different pumps. Only real difference on the hydroboost pump reservoir is that it has an additional return attachment. Many guys with a hydroboost swap just T the hydroboost return line into the existing return line from the steering box and run the pump that is already on the truck.