Power steering causing stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowmiler

Reaction score
My truck is a 92 SCSB with 5.7

After driving the around for awhile, parking, shutting the truck off, coming back to it later, starting it and backing out of the parking spot, it tends to stall when I start to turn the steering wheel.

Sitting still with the engine running and in drive, when I start to turn the steering wheel the rpm's and volts drop slightly.

Is the power steering causing this?

Recent maintenance is:

New battery
New alternator
New plugs, wires, cap, rotor
New ICM
New coil
Other than the battery, all parts are AC Delco

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just guessing here but check the fluid to see if your low or check the lines you may have restriction. I kno I've had this happen before and I just replaced the pump an lines

Lowmiler

Reaction score
Just guessing here but check the fluid to see if your low or check the lines you may have restriction. I kno I've had this happen before and I just replaced the pump an lines
Thank you for the suggestion. I replaced the fluid and it still has the problem

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Isn't there a switch that is supposed to sense the load, which then signals to the computer to kick the RPM up to compensate?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't there a switch that is supposed to sense the load, which then signals to the computer to kick the RPM up to compensate?

I know some Fords had a (pressure?) switch on one of the pump lines that would do this, but I'm not sure if GM did or not. Would the vehicle speed sensor have any input into it?

Could be a flaky throttle position sensor. When you're turning, you tend to let off the gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk