Potential Bad Ground

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel907

Reaction score
Just an update for those so if someone comes across a similar problem in the future.

If you truck experiences issues like I did. Be patient and do your proper diagnostics at the beginning so you can eliminate items that will not be a problem. Granted I purchased another vehicle for a daily driver, hence the update 6 months later.

I first noticed there was no fuel, and immediately jumped to the conclusion that my fuel pump must have been bad. Had I pulled a plug earlier and checked for spark, I would have saved time.

If you have a condition of no-spark & no-fuel, you may be looking at a bad Pickup coil. No, this is not the ignition coil that amplifies spark. The pickup coil is a little coil that is inside of the distributor. From my understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong), this acts like a rudimentary camshaft position sensor. It sends a signal to the ECU telling the relationship among camshaft, crankshaft and distributor. When it fails, the computer reads nothing and does not send power to the fuel pump and ignition when cranking the motor.

I yanked the distributor, replaced the pickup, reinstalled the distributor and the truck fired right up without an issue. Re-set your timing, plug in the ECU and you are good to go. I hope this helps someone in the future solve a no-fuel/no-spark condition and saves some headache.

Cheers and enjoy the summer!

- Daniel