Possible Vss Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gm muscle

Reaction score
I have a '97 K1500 with a 5.7/4L60e and 167K miles. The problem started yesterday when I loaded the truck with some tables and chairs. While on the road, I noticed the speedometer was waivering slightly by about plus or minus 5 MPH. It also felt like the tranny was coming in and out of torque converter lock up. The problem worsened when driving uphill...to the point it began to surge. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Since the speedometer was reading under by about 30 MPH, I thought it was the VSS. Lastly I noticed the brake pedal felt as though the ABS was activating at the end of a stop...weird. While on the Highway, the ABS light turns on....damn!

When I got home I checked the codes and got a P0151....an o2 sensor fault. WTF? I began to research this and found that the o2, MAF, ABS and VSS are all on the same circuit. Also read that if the o2 shorts out, the computer will put the tranny in limp mode. I replaced the o2 sensor (I should add that the engine runs smoothly) but the problem still persists.!! I was thinking about replacing the VSS but my local parts stores ask which speed sensor I want to buy...input or output. Which?? There isn't any code for the VSS, so I just don't want to randomly throw new parts at it when it could be something else (like a tranny rebuild...yikes!)

Help fellas.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I remember right the 4l60e only has 1 vss.. in the tails haft on 2wd and in the transfer case tail area on a 4wd. the 4l80e does for a fact have an input and an output vss though.. make sure they know it's for a 4l60e trans...

sent from what use to be a great nation...

gm muscle

Reaction score
Success! I went ahead and bought a new VSS. I wasn't going to so quickly but I got restless not knowing what was going on with my truck. Well, the gamble payed off. After replacing the sensor, everything worked as before...smoothly. The brakes returned to normal working order. You're right, magimerlin, the VSS on the K1500 is on the transfer case.