POR-15, who's painted what and how long does it last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with POR-15? Just started workin on my truck and painting the frame and would rather not mess it up. How well and how long does it last I guess would be my question. Any pics? I just started a offroad build thread if anyone wants to see what I'm painting. One other question, does it work on wheels or would they flex too much and buckle the paint and force it to chip and flake off. Thanks. Dave

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anywhere you use POR-15, it cannot be exposed to sunlight, unless you topcoat it with something. I've done the frame on my truck, in my car, the underside of the bed on my truck, and all holding up very well. Unless it already has surface rust, you'll need to prep it to make it last. Otherwise it'll fall/flake off within a yr.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

dave_erald

Reaction score
Exposed to direct sunlight? Fade real quick or something? And can you get away without using there ready prep? Pretty sure I seen that if it's dry and rusted you can just paint right over...

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it cannot be exposed to direct sunlight. It'll chop and peel off if that happens. If the surface already has rust on it, like surface rust, yeah put it right on. But if it's halfway clean metal, you'll need to prep.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did my frame and it lasted like a week. did the rockers and cab corners then i did them, rusted in a few months.

for your frame use a wire wheel and rust-olem gloss black. on the body i use ppg lfdp-90 then body work or bedliner

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
used a grinder and wire wheel to clean the frame, painted it and it looked great for about a month. Started seeing rust spots. Just washed the truck last weekend and it looked like crap. Not happy at all! Sprayed it with Walmart brand flat black and it looks great! Probably won't last long, but at less than a buck a can, I can always respray it again, and again, and again and still be ahead of the game.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
i did my frame and it lasted like a week. did the rockers and cab corners then i did them, rusted in a few months.

for your frame use a wire wheel and rust-olem gloss black. on the body i use ppg lfdp-90 then body work or bedliner

I used rustolem gloss black on mine. Its started to peel where i didnt prep it but it has held up on the spots that i did prep. I bought the paint in the quart, mixed in a little laquer and sprayed with an air model pain gun.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well ive had pretty good damn good luck with it then, i painted in feb while one week while it was in the high 60s...

Painted two whole coats and well some spots where i only put one on it seemed to rust back through, the majority is fine, then i top coated with a duplicolor undercoat and well it works for what it is.

I wire wheel the crap out of the bottom of the frame and anywhere else. The thing about POR15 is that it uses the rust as a catalyst so a rust frame works and holds better. and places where i painted over other paint/ non rusted areas in preperation it didnt last.

dave_erald

Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering about that, see because of that leaky diesel, some of the frame when cleaned looks like brand new metal, and other places some of it is rusted. Was kind of hoping just degrease and paint with one type of paint. Maybe not my luck it looks like. Oh well, I'll try to keep pics and remember how and what I did in case someone asks me. And yeah I've tried all the other ways, grind and paint, grind and undercoat paint. Most or all have rusted. The only one that hasn't is the frame on my shortbox 2wd. I had stripped everything off it then sent it out for sandblasting, epoxy primer and urethane black paint. Drove it a full Canadian winter still looks awesome. Thanks everyone.