Poor acceleration, no 'top speed' 92 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, FML

Everything that I went through with the troubleshooting in the manuals lead to an "intermittent failure"... which is basically this truck laughing at me and telling me that Ill never figure it out.

So, I thought I had the dizzy sorted out and timed correctly... It still ran like and idled poorly.

I called a mobile mechanic to check it out and verify my work. He said that it was timed correctly. Yet my timing mark still wandered.
After some reading online, i figured that the timing chain needed to be looked at. So I had it replaced along with new gears.

I didnt get a chance to put my light on it to see if the mark is steady finally, BUT the truck still idled like crap.

THEN, it was suggested that maybe the ECM was bad, SO I threw an ECM in there. aaaaaaaand NOTHING!

SO I said it! I had it towed in to a local shop for diagnostics. They called back and said that the timing was indeed off and that the dizzy was set one tooth off.
The truck still ran poorly, they looked further and found that the exhaust was clogged. They suggested replacement of the cat and muffler.

So I took it to an exhaust shop and had the entire exhaust replaced from the cat to the tailpipe... The shop verified that a chunk of the cat had broken out and blocked the opening to the muffler.

The truck STILL RAN LIKE .

Current symptoms...

Fires up just fine, but will NOT idle. if I keep my foot on it at 1500-2000rpms, it stays running but sounds rough. as soon as I let off the idle goes way down and chugs out and dies in a matter of seconds.

ANY suggestions? Im already into nearly $1000 of paying other people to work on this thing, and its not even drivable. Whereas it was drivable before I tried to replace the dizzy. Could it just be a bad ICM that came with the new Distributor?