Pontiac 1.5 DIN in 1999 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently bought a radio out of a 1998 grand prix and was wondering if there is any way to still use my cd slave unit or a cassette slave unit. Im also studying on how to mount the clips on it as well. I bought it for the red display and lights to match my red lighting inside the truck.
Pic of a test fit at the salvage yard.
You must be registered for see images

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but it appears the slave unit on the GMT400 is specific for that radio. There is a separate harness that connects the main radio to the slave unit. I believe there are 9 wires in that harness and I would doubt that any of them (besides power,ground) will be able to interfaced to a radio that doesn't have those same controls.

It shouldn't be an issue to get that radio to work. Go back to the junk yard and get an CD delete pocket out of a different truck and have a nice place to put your cell phone.

That radio looks nice in there btw.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I kinda figured it wouldnt. There is a radio similar that has an aux/cd button like our tape/cd button. That could work possibly. But ill get a pocket soon. That yard didnt have any. And thanks! I still need to put the clips on it and order red hvac and cluster bulbs and shell be done.

shorty66

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the same / similar swap for a 1990? I don't like the look of aftermarket head units, but an upgraded GM unit would be fine.