Pointers for installing a Keyless entry system on a 1993 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all -

I installed a Bulldog Security KE1702 keyless entry system on my 1993 C2500 Suburban today. It's pretty easy, so I didn't take a ton of pics to make a full-on 'how to', but I thought these notes might help:

The system I installed: http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/Products/453055507-model-ke1702-vehicle-keyless-entry-system.aspx Shop around. You can get it WAY cheaper than the price listed. There are also systems on Amazon for under $20 which work well, but the instructions suck and the Bulldog unit is made in USA. Just saying.

Their install instructions: http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/manualsnew/KE1702 ManualLOW.pdf . Your truck may vary, but my Suburban was a 'Type A', as described on Pages 10 and 11.

Basic Steps:
  1. Remove the driver's side kick panel. It's easier if you remove the plastic door sill plate first, but not necessary. To remove, pull straight out towards the center of the truck.
  2. Find a constant +12V source. I tried finding a fuse to tap, but none of mine are a constant +12V, so I ended up running wire from the constant +12V that goes to the stereo.
  3. Tap the red wire and the purple wire on the unit's harness into the +12V source
  4. Ground the black wire on the unit's harness
  5. Attach the unit. Check the connections by clicking the remote. You should here clicking noises from the unit.
  6. Behind the kick panel, find the harness that runs into the door. It will be in a pocket inside the sheet metal with a bunch of other harnesses. To figure out which one is the right one, squeeze the harness that is running through the rubber boot into the door while pulling on the harnesses.
  7. Tap the green/black wire on the unit's harness to the light blue wire in the truck's harness. Test the connection by clicking the 'lock' button (Button 1) on the remote.
  8. Tap the blue/black wire on the unit's harness into the black wire in the truck's harness. There are two. I lucked out getting mine right the first time (sorry, can't remember which right now). Test the connection by clicking the 'unlock' button (Button 2) on the remote. If it doesn't work, you probably got the wrong black wire.
  9. Dress up all the wires (zip ties are your friend), stow the unit, and clean everything up. I put mine in the pocket in the sheet metal where all the other harnesses are. Worked fine.

Hope this helps someone else. I'm very happy to have keyless entry on the truck!

Mike

Last edited:

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
***Update***

So, the Bulldog system has been spotty since Day 1. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I replaced the batteries in the remotes, but that didn't help (annoying because the batteries in these are not cheap). I re-positioned the antenna wire. That worked for a day or two maybe half the time, but now it only works if you're holding the remote right next to the kick panel (and even then, not always).

So, seeing how these units are so cheap, rather than get a hold of Bulldog I just ordered the newer version of the cheap Chinese one I installed on my F250 a couple years back (which still works just fine). I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYHRLS4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . $15 shipped. How do you go wrong?

As you can imagine, the instructions on the new one leave a lot to be desired. This unit is a total no-name off-the-boat Chinese doohickey, so all literature is very heavy in the Engrish. To make it easier, for anyone that goes with this one, the instructions you need to follow are for Figure B, which is the same as what Bulldog calls their 'Type A'. Colors are different, but the concept is the same. Comparing the colors from the Bulldog unit and this one looks like this:

+12V = red (same on both)
Ground = black (same on both)
Lock = green/black (Bulldog) = white (Chinese unit)
Unlock = blue/black (Bulldog) = white/black (Chinese unit)
Purple / Purple/Black (Bulldog) = yellow / yellow/black (Chinese unit)

4 big things I like better on this unit:
  1. So far, it works every time
  2. Range is MUCH better. 50ft out no problem. Haven't tried maxing it out yet
  3. Both remotes come pre-programmed to the unit. Bulldog made you program the other, which was a pain. Took 5 tries to get it right.
  4. The unit comes with a LED that can be installed to trick someone into thinking you have an alarm. It blinks (blue) when you lock it, and stops when you unlock it. Very nice feature.
So, I hate to say it, but don't waste your money on the Bulldog unit. Get the cheapo Chinese one instead.

Mike

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice writeup!

Did you measure the battery drain on the units at all?

Nope. Like I said in the 2nd post, this is the 2nd truck I've installed one of these in and I never had issues with the 1st. Probably not a bad idea to see what it pulls, but like any other ignorant SOB I'll wait until it kills the battery and go from there :). I'd imagine the draw is pretty low, though.

Mike