Please help with my first truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShyAnn

Reaction score
Try another distributor cap. I had a 98 350, got a bad cap right out of the box. Learned the hard way after replacing injectors. Just try the freakin cap again!!!!!

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
First off I want you to know I am really trying to help and I know the tone sounds preachy, and that I'm long winded (you'll get used to it ask anybody here!) but I mean well.

I understand that you may not get caught but just replace the dead cat as soon as you can.

Removing the cats is a $10.000 fine each to make maybe 2 horsepower and will make the exhaust system rust out 5 times faster doesn't make sense to me.

In Ohio the vehicle can be impounded until repaired and in California the vehicle can be confiscated and crushed.

Laws from the People's Republic Of California tend to find their way East.

Ask Colorado, New York, Maine, and I believe Vermont (but don't quote me on VT).

Your truck has 2 cats. That's $10,000 EACH for you and the same for the shop. $40k is kinda steep.

And oh yeah, the computer will set trouble codes that the cats have failed.

Catalytic convertors like all catalysts are immortal meaning they aren't affected by the chemical reaction they help along.

The converters died because something murdered them.

The top 5 killers of cats in my experience;

1) Lazy or damaged upstream o2 sensors
2) Dead or leaky fuel injectors
3) Burning oil
4) Coolant in the exhaust
5) Impact

I have gotten calls from the EPA pretending to be customers that wanted me to sell them emission control eliminators (test pipes, MIL eliminators, and etc.). One guy even admitted to it!

Jegs was recently fined 1.2 MILLION dollars for selling non CARB compliant parts in California.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
besides the fines..... man i get almost 18 mpg in my Burb with a fully functioning exhaust system. I started at below 14 mpg. since I got the Burb and bought a complete Y pipe with both cats, (almost $600 CAD) Ontario has dropped emmisions testing, BUT vehicles are still supposed to have all the emmisions parts that the vehicle was manufactured with. A clean burning engine is an efficient one and I believe that translates into more power. I don't know but going from less than 14 to almost 18 MPG is putting money in my pocket and I can tell if there is something wrong with the truck if the mileage starts to fail. hell I can move 8 people and still get 18mpg.

yeah I vote for emmisions parts.... we all deserve clean air to breath and maybe if we all do our part maybe the gvmt will Foff n leave our gas guzzling trucks alone.