(PLEASE HELP) Wiring issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan Pope

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 95 ext cab z71 with the TBI.
I recently had the truck painted and today I was putting all the bumpers grill ect back on it and a problem now occurs.I had popped the dash bezel off to mount a switch for a light bar I put behind the grille and ever since then now when I turn on my headlights my aftermarket (flip up screen radio) the screen retracts like your cutting the truck off and both my turn signals are lit up on the dash but not blinking...something is not right here the radio should have nothing to do with me turning my headlights on,I’ve replaced the headlight switch and that didn’t fix it...please help me I’m taking it to my mechanic in the morning but I’m still trying to figure out what’s going on,and no the light bar has nothing to do with this considering I’ve completely disconnected it and the problem still exists...anyone?!?

Dylan Pope

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 95 ext cab z71 with the TBI.
I recently had the truck painted and today I was putting all the bumpers grill ect back on it and a problem now occurs.I had popped the dash bezel off to mount a switch for a light bar I put behind the grille and ever since then now when I turn on my headlights my aftermarket (flip up screen radio) the screen retracts like your cutting the truck off and both my turn signals are lit up on the dash but not blinking...something is not right here the radio should have nothing to do with me turning my headlights on,I’ve replaced the headlight switch and that didn’t fix it...please help me I’m taking it to my mechanic in the morning but I’m still trying to figure out what’s going on,and no the light bar has nothing to do with this considering I’ve completely disconnected it and the problem still exists...anyone?!?
And oh btw I have no turn Signals now..I flip the switch and nothing happens

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My first thought would be the stereo harness. Most harnesses include an input from the dash lights to dim the display at night. A bad connection in that harness can cause all sorts of weird symptoms. It'd start there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And oh btw I have no turn Signals now..I flip the switch and nothing happens
Is that regardless of the headlight switch position, or only when the headlights or parking lights are on?

Dylan Pope

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that regardless of the headlight switch position, or only when the headlights or parking lights are on?

I have no turn Signals at all regardless if the lights are on or not,however the hazards do work but then when I press my hazards my door buzzer comes on and off on and off with the blink of the hazards almost,that’s another thing to note the door buzzer isn’t working unless the lights are on.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, that's strange. Aside from taking things off and putting them back, the only thing that's different with your wiring is the new light bar, right? Did you tie that into any existing wiring, or did you wire the light bar to the battery with a relay circuit closed by the new switch?

Dylan Pope

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, that's strange. Aside from taking things off and putting them back, the only thing that's different with your wiring is the new light bar, right? Did you tie that into any existing wiring, or did you wire the light bar to the battery with a relay circuit closed by the new switch?

No sir I didn’t tie it into any wiring it’s on a closed circuit like you said,however I did have my hand up under the dash fishing the wires for the switch through is it possible maybe I could have bumped something or I honestly have no clue

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No sir I didn’t tie it into any wiring it’s on a closed circuit like you said,however I did have my hand up under the dash fishing the wires for the switch through is it possible maybe I could have bumped something or I honestly have no clue
It's possible. Maybe somebody with a 88-94 can chime in here? I know the MFS can cause some truly weird problems in these trucks, would it cause symptoms with the stereo too?

Did you try the hazards too, or just the turn signals?