PLEASE HELP!!! my truck is eating ignition modules

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 1995 c2500 350 tbi that is eating ignition modules. it started running like crap so i ran a diagnostic and it gave code 42 which is ignition module so i ordered a brand new ac delco module and before i put it in i took it down to the local advance auto parts and had it tested and it checked out perfect so i installed it and started the truck and it still ran like crap. so i removed it and took it back to advance and had it tested and it was bad. it has done this on 2 modules now so apperantly when ever i turn the key to the one position it frys the module. what could be causeing this please if any of yall have had this problem help me this is getting very expensive on a highschoolers budget. Thank you

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I burned one up because I used dielectric grease instead of heatsink compound when I installed it on the distributor. It ran fine when cold, but as it would heat up it would run progressively worse until it would just die. It wouldn't run right again until it had cooled off.

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i used heat sink compound both times its not that there getting hot and then brakeing there being fryed right when the key goes to the on position

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Replace the coil when you replace a module. A weak coil is tough on modules.

Pontiacs-r-us

Reaction score
Check continuity on wires from distributor plug to mod connectors to make sure not shorted together somewhere?Also check plug(truck harness side)for full 12v when key energizes the plug...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk