Pinion angle on 9" rear drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've got a pinion angle question.

I just lowered my truck another inch after I got the AVS under bed notch welded in so now I'm at 9" in the rear with a flip kit, hangers, and my shackles set to 1". I never had problems, at least I don't think I did at 7" or 8" but now my drive shaft is hitting the cross-member under the bed and I'm hearing some grinding and I know my pinion angle is preeettty bad.

You must be registered for see images attach

Is it worth fixing anyways correct to improve drivetrain life? Do I just measure the angles I have now and get a shim to correct it back to between 1* and 3* negative? It's that simple? Or is there something to be shimmed at the transmission end aswell?

Any help's appreciated, Thanks guys

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shimms for sure because that pinion angle looks pretty jacked.
You'll want to get a pinion angle measurement so you'll know exactly where you're at
and then you'll know what to do as far as the shimms . I can't say for sure because I
only did a 4/6 drop on my Silvy but my guess would be not to rule out notching that bed rail.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A proper sized shim should help or you can have an axle service company cut the perches off and weld on new ones in the right location. Its affordable, its fast and its perfect afterward.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
That low and at that angle your are probably hitting your gas tank crossmember.

Reaction score
I guess with the Djm flip kit you have the ability to loosen the clamp and rotate the axle back to an acceptable angle. So I will do that. And yes my driveshaft is hitting my crossmember so I will notch that aswell.

Do you guys think if I correct my pinion angle it will give me enough clearance on the crossmember?