Phantom Grille Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Valkyrie5.7

Thrashaholic
Reaction score
I want to eventually swap out my 96 grille for an 88-93 unit and run a phantom grille on it. There's a guy selling a 1990 grille for $20 on CL and I'm thinking about picking it up and painting it white to match the truck until I get the cash together for the phantom grille assembly.

Before you ask, I don't want to run the 94+ phantom grille because I think it looks ugly, personally I don't care for the stock 94+ grille all that much. I've never done one of these before and I understand that you have to do some modifications to the grille and recess the headlights. Has anyone ever done this before? Is it really worth the $300+ I see the kit going for? I don't want to get neck deep in this only to find out it wasn't worth it at all. Especially since this is my DD and it does get the lions share of real truck work.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
94+ used composite headlights on all but their W/T model trucks so if you're planning to go with a pre 94 grille make sure you have the correct headlights to fit the grille.

As for the mod being worth doing on a daily driver that really depends on what your personal preferences are.
IMO I think the Phantom Grille swap was a great mod and has had it's time in the lime light but now is a bit outdated considering it's now 2010 but please don't let my 2 cents sway you . It's your truck so do what makes you happy.

Valkyrie5.7

Thrashaholic
Reaction score
94+ used composite headlights on all but their W/T model trucks so if you're planning to go with a pre 94 grille make sure you have the correct headlights to fit the grille.

As for the mod being worth doing on a daily driver that really depends on what your personal preferences are.
IMO I think the Phantom Grille swap was a great mod and has had it's time in the lime light but now is a bit outdated considering it's now 2010 but please don't let my 2 cents sway you . It's your truck so do what makes you happy.

Yeah I'm sure my headlights will fit with the non w/t grille on the pre 94 grilles, I know for sure it works the other way around. From what I understand the way they connect to the radiator support is different and the corners are different and that's pretty much it.

I'm sure a lot of people think it's dated, but I'm not trying to win any popularity contests. I appreciate your input, Bigg G. I'll probably wait to see if I can't grab a used kit for cheap and just stick with the stock 88-93 grille for now.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the 88-94 phantom grille grill on my truck. I bought it new with lights and all for around $400 It came with relocation brackets to resess the head lights back a few inches and the turn/markerlight monted from behiend the grill. It was all aftermarket and fit very well but I ended up getting tierd of it on my truck so I swapped it all for the 94-up grill

Valkyrie5.7

Thrashaholic
Reaction score
I had the 88-94 phantom grille grill on my truck. I bought it new with lights and all for around $400 It came with relocation brackets to resess the head lights back a few inches and the turn/markerlight monted from behiend the grill. It was all aftermarket and fit very well but I ended up getting tierd of it on my truck so I swapped it all for the 94-up grill

good to know. I'm keeping my stock grille no matter what, so if I get tired of the look I'll probably go back to stock.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have any qtestions when your doing the install let me know if I can help

The Daver

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
88-93 FTW. I had one on my old 89 and they look much better than 94+ you wont regret the look if its what you want I can assure you that...