People who do front diffs often, thoughts please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might screw up the explanation a bit here so please bear with me.

I had a 2001 Lincoln LS which comes with an 8" rear diff on an IRS. No one makes a carrier for it of any kind. Some guys took apart the rear diff on a Mark VIII which has an 8.8"IRS. They found that the gears were definitely not interchangeable, but the carriers themselves were the same physical size and yadda yadda yadda, long story short you can use a 8.8" locker on the 8" axle found on the LS and newer thunderbirds. That was pretty huge since the open diff wouldn't hold any kind of added power with consistent results.

There is where my question comes in. Has anyone done enough or have both diffs laying around to make similar measurements on the 9.2 and 8.2 front diffs? I wont swap a 9.2 into my truck, I'll do a SAS first. But if I can throw a 9.2 locker in the 8.2 while I'm regearing it, then game on! The issue is, I dont have enough experience with the insides of a differential to start making the right measurements and hypothesis. I'm willing to try it, but I need to relatively sure that it may work before I start trying to get this thing in there with a bucket of shims and crisco. LOL

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OBSOkie