PCV hose replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My PCV line is getting a little worse for wear. It's original so it's plastic with rubber ends. Those ends are cracking on the surface. Technically it's a vacuum line, but I'm thinking that since it has oil vapors running through it, something like oil cooler line might be more appropriate. Thoughts?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Maybe I just found my answer... I hadn't looked at fuel hose yet. Gates specifies PCV and EEC use for some of their fuel hose.

What do people normally plumb catch cans with? I may look into installing one, but even if I don't I want to get that PCV line replaced.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Catch can is a useless mod, sorry folks.. spend that money on something else. That oil vapor isn't hurting anything.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Catch can is a useless mod, sorry folks.. spend that money on something else. That oil vapor isn't hurting anything.

Richard
THANK YOU. Sometimes truth hurts. I don't know where "Catch-Can Mania" came from (First Guess: Ricers) but it's crazy.

A primary component in exhaust gas is water. That's why exhaust is white when the weather is cold--the water vapor is condensing in the cool exhaust system. Water is what you get when you burn the hydrogen part of a hydrocarbon. As long as the water vapor is pulled OUT of the crankcase, it causes no harm if it goes back into the intake manifold. Same for the traces of oil or other hydrocarbon.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My thought was that it might keep the intake cleaner, and also I could monitor what was going on better. I get condensation in the oil fill tube, and have since the truck was basically new. Winter and short trips don't help.

I still need to replace the hose. It's cracking and not as tight as it should be.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's bulk hose out there that is specified for use with PCV systems. Also typical for it to be fuel rated. But if you want to be sure it's OK instead of guessing, go for the stuff indicated for PCV.

For example: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ii-3-8-inch-3-8-inch-hose/27029/4348880?pos=7

Dunno if you can still find it at parts stores on the reel and just buy a foot of it, but at least with that example you're only buying 2 feet so you could end up with plenty leftover for other jobs.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This pic shows the oil collected from the PCV hose in <400 miles since I drained it last. That's not water vapor. Obviously the design on the PCV system doesn't keep oil spray/drops from getting sucked up into the PCV. Now I don't know if it's bad to be spraying oil continuously into your intake but I feel better taking it out.

You must be registered for see images attach
You don't need a catch-can.

You need a proper baffle for the PCV valve, OR you need an engine with less blow-by OR there's a problem with the PCV valve--defective, or the wrong calibration for the engine.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, that's fine. There's practically a cult following for the mod though and all it's really good for is emptying pockets, and making people feel better. It's not making your engine feel better. :)

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a little simpler to add the separator than to fix all the issues you listed wouldn't you agree?
I don't agree. Fixing the baffle, or replacing the defective/incorrect PCV valve should be fairly simple and relatively inexpensive. They're also "one-and-done", you don't have to dick with emptying the catch can every few hundred miles, or having the moisture in it freeze overnight in cold weather.

Fixing a worn-out engine will cost considerably more...but a catch-can is not an appropriate substitute for proper piston ring seal.

In any case your probably right that it doesn't hurt much as this truck went 240k without one and is running strong.
As are multi-millions of other vehicles.

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's bulk hose out there that is specified for use with PCV systems. Also typical for it to be fuel rated. But if you want to be sure it's OK instead of guessing, go for the stuff indicated for PCV.

For example: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ii-3-8-inch-3-8-inch-hose/27029/4348880?pos=7

Dunno if you can still find it at parts stores on the reel and just buy a foot of it, but at least with that example you're only buying 2 feet so you could end up with plenty leftover for other jobs.

Richard

Back on topic...

SAE J30R7 is fuel vapor purge and PCV rated hose. It used to be used as liquid fuel line but SAE J30R9 superseded it in the mid 1980's.

The SAE specs can be found on the SAE web page. The SAE numbers will be emblazoned on the outer jacket of any SAE rated hoses. There are several different SAE hose applications on automobiles. For instance... SAE J1019 is transmission oil cooler hose that's rated for hot transmission fluid even tho the parts counter guy may try to sell you SAE J30R9 fuel hose for that application.

Last edited: