Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
We used to charge $5/scrape and $10/cut when working on vehicles. That was back in the 70s, I'll bet the price has gone up since then! :badidea:
I used to finalize bills at my shops and I would read off the invoice details and give a total and then add in "blood costs" at $50 more. So many times they did a double take or had the deer in the headlights look, till I told them I was kidding.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Had a 2008 4Runner here this morning for new pads, rotors, calipers for a front brake pulsation. Also drain and fill the rear diff for noise after the fluid was changed by dealer about 20k ago. Took front tires off and discovered d/s inner cv boot torn and slinging grease. I did the p/s axle and hub 3 weeks ago and checked the d/s and was intact and no tears and no grease slinging. Because of labor overlap now with the brake work, I went and got the axle and she is also doing the hub/bearing and she is going to get back to me in 2 weeks and do it all at once. I went ahead and did the rear diff fluid change. Let it drain and sprayed brake clean in the fill hole and washed it out nicely. Unfortunately, the old fluid was grey and particles on the drain plug magnet. I would expect what I saw on first change but this is the 3rd change on a 128k miles rig. Refilled with 75w-90 synthetic, 3.2 quarts, delivered to her and was quieter but she knows she has an upcoming decision. I have tried for 6 months to buy the 4Runner from her for $12k. I even told her I would give her money back for the recent p/s axle and hub/bearing and pay her for all the new brake parts and left axle and hub/bearing and would pay her for the fluid for rear diff. She is thinking about it.......

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The hardest part of this job is not taking the money.
Everybody thinks that you are for sale because they are all for sale.
Its not the money, though it does pay really well.
I get paid for being a stone in the river.
when companies start to fail they drive themselves into the dirt by eliminating quality control and then by cutting employee hours after ******** all over the employees.
******* stupid.
Any government or millitary contract doesnt let you loose yer marbles and go crazy.
I can not stand aside and let you loose yer mind without reporting it you stupid nutty ****.
This can be a ******* hard damn road to go down.
But if you have the balls to never sell out and you can find a crew of people who have the same crazy vision and drive that you have?
The world is yours
And that means you are responsible for that world and your people.
Imagine that you had a ball of glass.
And inside of that ball of glass was all of your employees and their wives and children their houses and bills and paychecks and your wife and house and paycheck and knowing that if you **** it up and drop that ball of glass you will never ever ******* ever work in this business again.
Then you just dont give a **** and do it anyway.
Fuckem all.
I am not sure how many times ive been fired but its about 8 or so
maybe ten.
About the same number of times ive told them to **** off and walked out the door.
I am not a good employee.
I am very ******* good at choosing when and how and if my employees and I get into situations that we arent comfortable with and we do not have to get involved with those sketchy projects.
You as a leader if you are worth a **** and not some management suck up you always need to be ready to get fired first.
If they keep you and fire somebody below you so you can keep your job?
Get yourself some kneepads.
I hear that office carpet is kinda rough.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@thinger2, I ran shops the way the boss said to do it, my first three shops. Till I figured out how to do it my way, which was training customers, actually caring for the techs, never taking on a job that I would not do myself, never letting customers try to bully, firing a customer if needed and telling the owner that if my way did not make the shop money.....fire me. Until the economy took a dump around 2008, I was very successful. If I got stale, I moved on. I always worked for mom and pop shops and told them what I would work for and let me go if I did not pay for myself. After 2008 and laid off, the owner took my job. I did lots of work at home and was on unemployment for over 2 years because the advisor jobs wanted youngsters that would work for peanuts. Then my wife died in 2011. I found a position as a self storage manager and free rent and free utilities. It allowed me to drink as much as I wanted and not worry. This went on for 11 years. Then I stopped drinking and retired. The way the shops are ran now, seems like I am old enough that I don't have the drive to make them better/different. People are desperate to get cars/trucks in because the shops are so busy and not enough techs. I am reaping the spoils. The right fit has to hit me or I will not go back. Has to be a cash position.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media