Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well, surprise surprise, does not look like I am going to go work at the shop that my friend is half owner in. It looks like they may be expanding to a bigger shop and they will want a full time line tech and I don't want that. Initially that situation was for some tech work and some advisor work, I wanted just part time. All good and no hard feelings.

BUT, today I got a notice from Indeed, from a shop owner that I had interviewed at for a full time service advisor job about 5 months ago. We had a good interview and he knew all the shops I had managed before and was aware of me in the local industry. His ad back then had stated that the pay scale was $40k to $55k a year. He asked how much I would work for and I told him that the $55k was it. He balked and I reminded him of my many years of experience and if I did not measure up after 60 days, let me go. He said he would think about it. Needless to say, after all this time and seeing the ad at Indeed go away and then come back I assumed he hired someone and they did not work out. He reached out thru Indeed and asked to see me again. I looked up his ad at Indeed and the pay scale is now $50k to $60k. I am supposed to call him some time this morning and he wants to talk to me again. I am going to stick to my $55k pay scale and see what he says. I would not be by myself. He is the owner and writes service too and has an office manager lady that helps with the flow and paperwork. I did not know before but he has added some more lifts and now has 18 bays. He even has lifts for larger commercial trucks and motorhomes. If I was going to be doing any tech work at the other shop, I wanted only part time but as a full fledged service advisor, I can do the full time.

Why not ask for 60? How bad do you need this job? It sounds to me they need you more than you need them.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just like I gave/give him the option to let me go after 60 days if he does not feel like I proved my point, I plan to tell him I expect to be at the $60k at end of 60 days if I do prove my point. At $55,200 salary, that is $4600 a month. 2 months would be $9200. If I do 3 months at $4600, that is $13,800 and that would put me over the threshold that my tax guy gave me and then my social security starts to get taxed. If at end of 2 months I want to go, then the money I make does not cross that $13k threshold. If I want to stay, then I will expect the full monty and want the $5k a month for $60k a year and the taxing of my social security kicks in, after I have crossed the $13k threshold my tax guy gave me.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Another reason to wait for the 60 days before getting/asking for the $60k, is that I show him I will stick to what I asked for initially and I expect the same from him. If he is going to advertise $50k to $60k, then I expect, with my experience, to get that $60k.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Went and spent two hours at the shop. The hours total each day is 11 to 11 1/2 easy. First in and last out. Has a mouthy tech that acts like a prima donna. The neighborhood is cluttered with homeless that sometimes roam the vehicle lot. I told him I am gonna pass.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Went and spent two hours at the shop. The hours total each day is 11 to 11 1/2 easy. First in and last out. Has a mouthy tech that acts like a prima donna. The neighborhood is cluttered with homeless that sometimes roam the vehicle lot. I told him I am gonna pass.
And when that tech blows out the door which will happen.
You will end up carrying the load.
And in my experiance, if you are honest and motivated and a hard working man,
Once you assume that responsibilty even though they claim it is temporary untill they find someone else.
They will never remember or abide by that agreement.
What they will do is lie and promise and bullshit.
Because you have taken a burden off of them.
That way they can get back to the other part of having no damn idea about how to run a business.
Then they will burn you right into the ground and blame you and move on to the next guy and lie to him.
Owning and operating a business has very little to do with your technical knowledge of your trade.
You can be the best mechanic on earth.
You can be the best welder or fabricator on earth.
Once you start your own business you will never turn a wrench or weld anything ever again.
Your time will be fully taken up by rules and regulations and insurance and making payroll and borrowing money and employee issues and finances and payments and friggen accountants and supply chain problems and shipping and weather and trucking strikes and port strikes and little screaming babies from the trades calling OSHA becuase they have some beef with each other because somebody ran over their ******* sandwiches with a welder.
Almost all small businesses fail within the first three years.
I used to be a precision sheet metal mechanic and a certified aerospace quality inspector.
And that was such great fun.
I worked in the prototype shop for Simula Corp and we made some crazy **** from scratch.
I learned my trade from an englishman who when he was twelve had been evacuated to northern England as an orphan because his family had been killed by a buzz bomb while he was out trying to find food.
When he turned 13 he went to work in a sheet metal shop somewhere in the north and he learned how to fabricate airplane parts.
Jim is the man who first taught me my trade.
There were many others over the years.
I am not a mechanical genious.
Im often wrong as hell.
But I can tap a piece of sheet metal for awhile and make it look like your face.
Then I went into the srtuctural steel business where I got to play with the biggest toys on earth.
The really big part of that is that I am in charge of the whole situation and I get to call the safety for everybody.
No ******* office no nothing weasel can tell me what to do.
Because I bid the job and I have "go home" money in the bid.
You should always have 60 days a year of **** off money in your budget.
That is when you pull your people and pay them and it doesnt matter if the GC doesnt like it because you will get it right back in schedule delay charges.
consruction is always going to be dangerious.
The part that most people in the trades never get to see is the massive amount of money that is loose and rapidly getting chucked around between a bunch of different people.
At a very very fast rate.
Ive quoted and signed 2 million dollar change order adds to scope of work on a bar napkin.
All while certifiying and testing all of our employees and our welding machines and our processes.
And havent welded much of anything in the last ten years.
I am a business owner.
I spend my day dealing with people who just got a certificate in project management and have been to a jobsite 2 times.
It is very basic.
You are in a position where you can kill people.
You sure as **** better have the balls to stand your ground and stand between your people and the stupid ***** who dont care about the danger they are putting them in.
Any **** talking big rough tough loud mouth is probably the biggest whining safety hazard on the job.
Kick that little boys ass right the **** off of the job right back to the union hall.
If you have to kick that crying abusive **** off of 13 jobs you follow his ass around the ******* state to clear that cancer away from your hall.
That **** has to go because he will rot your trade from the inside.
The power comes from the group and the unity
Not from some rotten old douchbag.
If they are so great?
Why is nobody joining?
Maybe becuase they are **********?
I was in the inland boatmans union and then a teamster and then a union stage hand and then a union sheet metal worker and then a union ironworker.
And all of that was big fat ***** trying to keep people out of the union unless they approved of them.
Kick yer big fat old harley riding full pension turkey knecked goiter clown right the **** out the door and take charge of your hall and make it matter for all of your members and go get everybody involved.
That is how you win this battle.
Get everybody.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That **** has to go because he will rot your trade from the inside.
Yup. Unions have to cull their bad workers. I saw my union push management to fire a person, and assured the company they would back the firing. The worker was turning out poor work, and counseling wasn't improving her performance. The firing went down smooth as butter, and both the union and the company were better for it.

Since that time I've wondered why temp agencies don't work more like unions and why unions don't work more like temp agencies. Unfortunately, I know that temp agencies only exist because management controls them, and unions are fighting for survival because management can't control them.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. Unions have to cull their bad workers. I saw my union push management to fire a person, and assured the company they would back the firing. The worker was turning out poor work, and counseling wasn't improving her performance. The firing went down smooth as butter, and both the union and the company were better for it.

Since that time I've wondered why temp agencies don't work more like unions and why unions don't work more like temp agencies. Unfortunately, I know that temp agencies only exist because management controls them, and unions are fighting for survival because management can't control them.
You need to stop giving a **** about the union or the company or the temp agenicies and wrap your ******* head around staying alive.
I am an old school union **** who figured out that hazing employees was a fine way to kill some guy who just wanted to pay for his kids and his wife.
But that took a couple of years.
Remember, being old does not mean you are smart.
And if you are with that woman you met at the bar just so her 4 year old can blow on the interlock so you can strart the truck .
Thats child abuse.
In case you hadnt ******* quite scoped that out yet you ******* dolt.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All you need to do to increase union memborship is to make it a union again.
Not a ******* clown show run by corrupt ***** who cant even ******* spell.
You need to stop giving a **** about the union or the company or the temp agenicies and wrap your ******* head around staying alive.
I am an old school union **** who figured out that hazing employees was a fine way to kill some guy who just wanted to pay for his kids and his wife.
But that took a couple of years.
Remember, being old does not mean you are smart.
And if you are with that woman you met at the bar just so her 4 year old can blow on the interlock so you can strart the truck .
Thats child abuse.
In case you hadnt ******* quite scoped that out yet you ******* dolt.
I am sorry i wrote that.
That was very rude and insulting to you.
I will never disrespect you again.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry i wrote that.
That was very rude and insulting to you.
I will never disrespect you again.
Accepted. I understand that ultimately I have to look out for me, but I'm cooperative. I believe in leadership and followership, but I think most people don't understand either skill.