Passlock issues :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Well, my 98 almost left me stranded Saturday night. It would start and immediately die, and my security light was flashing. After i did a passlock re-learn (thankfully knew the procedure off the top of my head), it worked fine. Everything is back to normal. I am looking at doing a permanent bypass. I don't want to be stranded because my truck thinks someone is stealing it. I know they yellow wire in the steering column plug is for the passlock sensor, I just need a little assistance on figuring the correct resistance and if its off a 12v or 5v reference wire, or a ground. Any help would be appreciated. I don't mind doing a re-learn if anyone knows what resistance range was used by gm on these trucks.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a instruction sheet somewhere on disabling it. Let me see if I can find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98_k1500

Reaction score
Also not interested in cutting the yellow wire and installing a switch, which will turn my security light on 24/7 and will leave me stranded again the first time the battery is disconnected.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Sounds much better... I'd like to bypass it directly to the ecm instead of the bcm if at all possible. Do away with it all together.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Last edited:

1999bigburb

Reaction score
Thanks...found it. So now, I am assuming this is not something one can just swap out unless it is the identical part number? I am guessing if a new BCM is needed that GM will need it to program? I have no problem living with it but if the BCM is on its way out what else can I expect to start giving me grief?