Parking Brake Will Not Set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cricket

Reaction score
My 95 1/2 ton parking brake will not hold. Can push pedal down and release but it's almost non existent. I need help guys, anything you've got.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on model the parking brake is most likely a manual operation of the rear drum brakes. There was at least one high end model that ties in with the drive train.

It could be that your rear drum brakes are worn, which you might not notice all that much with discs on the front. There is also an adjustment that you can tighten assuming that the rear drum brakes are not shot.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Considering the age of the truck my bet would be that the rear drum brakes need attention and that is most likely the root of your problem. My suggestion would be to start there. An inspection would likely tell you much.

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Theres an adjuster on the brake cable also. If the cable is all loose and floppy with the park brake pedal pressed down, you will need to adjust it

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you sort it out please report back to the thread what the problem was and how you solved it . Most of the stopping is done by the front brakes and pads are so easily replaced that the rear brakes wear very slowly. I expect those drum brakes have been replaced maybe once or twice in the history of the truck.