Painting Rotors and Calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am about to put new Rotors on my truck. I got the new rotors ordered and they are here. I got thinking maybe I should paint them to keep them from rusting. I've never painted any of this stuff before. I know I need to use high heat caliper paint but that's about it. I know that sully painted the entire rotor when he did his truck but I was looking for some opinions on that.

I've read some stuff about trying to not paint the hub mating surface and the face of the rotors where the pads contact the rotors. I am tempted to just shoot the entire thing because it seems like anywhere that rubs it will just clean the paint off anyway.

As far as prep work goes the new rotors have a film of oil on them (presumably from the machining process and also to prevent rust?) I was just thinking of cleaning them off with brake cleaner before I tried to paint them. Should I use something other than brake cleaner?

Is there some sort of caliper/rotor primer or is the caliper/rotor paint pretty much self priming?

I don't know anything about painting the calipers. Those kinda scare me since they've got moving parts and seals and stuff. should I try to paint those too or just leave them alone? The calipers aren't being replaced at this time so they are already slightly rusted which would need to me cleaned up first.

Any other tips or suggestions I'd appreciate. Thanks!

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Painting rotors dosent really do too much it will rub off where the pads contact and will not do much where they mound to the hub/rim since you will have antiseize there right? you will want to clean off the oil with break cleaner or a primer/solvent. you can try to paint the cooling fins if you want. by the time they get I would paint your calipers though, just clean and spray with high temp paint

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I painted my calipers up front red in between doing brakes on the front. It looked great for a little bit but eventually they've gotten dirty as hell again...Like went from bright red back to maroon from all the dust and crap but I also just cleaned them off best I could and shot with hi temp paint. I'm thinking it would almost be better to buy calipers that were already coated red like the vette calipers. What color are you trying to do?

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
will not do much where they mound to the hub/rim since you will have antiseize there right?

Uhh... Now I feel really dumb. I had NO idea that I was supposed to use anti-seize there... Could you elaborate a little more? I should put a thin layer of anti-seize where the rotor meets the hub and where the rotor meets the wheel?

I already installed my new rotors and I cleaned them off with gas and brake cleaner. Really the only reason I wanted to paint is to try to prevent rust. My wheels aren't ones that you can really see much of the brake system through.

I wasn't trying to go for any color I was probably just going to use black.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
anti seize will just help the rotor and wheel come off easily next time. just a thin layer is fine.. usually its not a big deal.. i have had to torch and sledge off too many wheel to not use antiseize. the rotors and calipers will rust pretty much no matter what (of you treat your truck like a truck) you can try painting them, since the high temp paint is cheap and there is really nothing to lose

narizon

Reaction score
These were done 5 months ago & still holding up.New calipers/pads,drums/shoe's & also cleaned with gas/brake cleaner,scuffed them with wire brush up & sprayed them(several coats).
I didn't know about the using anti seize on brake parts,but O well, maybe next time.Always use it on my plugs.
Paint I used was purchased at Autozone, believe it was VHT caliper paint & was around $8 a rattle can.I picked up two cans of it & had some left over.Water pump is acting up so new one will be nice & red.Will also be doing my Caddy calipers as will soon do the rear disc swap.
Hezus is right,paint's cheap & nothing to loose,well maybe a scuffed nuckle or two.......

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On both of my trucks i used Dupi-color caliper paint that you can get anywhere and for the rotors I used there METALCAST paint. What works best for me is clean the calipers as best as you can with brake parts cleaner and hit them with I wire wheel and drill then paint. The rotors the same way but I hit them first with a etching primer. The calipers hold up really well but after a while the paint will flake off the rotors.