Paint question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i'm gettin ready to spray my truck in the next week or so with hot rod flatz , black. my question is my paint has the herpes lol. no really the top coat is just peeling off like it got a bad sunburn or something. Guy at napa said i needed to strip it down to metal....thought i read somewhere as long as i sand it and put a good primer/sealer over it i'd be fine...just figured i'd ask yalls thoughts. its dented up so i could care less if it looks perfect just want some paint on that metal so it dont rust thru

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You want to make sure you get rid of the flaking clear coat as best as you can. You dont have to go down to metal unless youre really worried about the finish and want to do a lot of paperwork. All Id do is try to get rid of as much of the flaking crap and go ove rth erest of it with a scuffing pad so the primer will stick to it.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You want to make sure you get rid of the flaking clear coat as best as you can. You dont have to go down to metal unless youre really worried about the finish and want to do a lot of paperwork. All Id do is try to get rid of as much of the flaking crap and go ove rth erest of it with a scuffing pad so the primer will stick to it.

Thats what I would do aswell

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool. Its not the clear coat its the white paint peeling off lol. Should be about the same though.