P0420 Cat Inefficiency

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm throwing a P0420 for Catalytic inefficiency (bank 1)

-is that actually a clogged cat or is it one of those codes you have to start digging to find the problem??

Reaction score
will it hurt anything else driving around with the cat "clogged" and SES light on?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think the post - cat sensors affect the performance of the engine, just the pre-cat sensors. You will not pass inspection in my state however.

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
if the cat is clogged it is going to run really ******, and basically in limp mode,

i had a reading like that on my truck, i had justin tune out the post cat o2 sensors, and hollowed my cats out

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
my left bank cat went out so I pulled both of them out, a clogged cat will also cause your motor to overheat while towing. It happened to us with a 98 S10 Blazer 4.3L/4L60e.

Last edited:

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would swap your rear 02 sensor sides and if it still shows up then you have a bad cat. I had the same code and I had a bad cat, so I bought the magna-flow cats for my 97 Z71

GMCzar

Reaction score
I did a little research and this is what I found:

Causes
- Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for
- An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
- The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
- Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe
- Retarded spark timing
- The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings

Possible Solutions
- Check for exhaust leaks at the manifold, pipes, catalytic converter. Repair as required.
- Use a scope to diagnose the oxygen sensor operation (Tip: The oxygen sensor in front of the catalytic converter normally has a fluctuating waveform. The waveform of the sensor behind the converter should be more steady).
- Inspect the downstream heated oxygen sensor (HO2), replace if necessary
- Replace the catalytic converter

Hope this helps.