Overhead console idea and question redirect ac controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ONCEBITN

Reaction score
I have a nice suburban overhead console that I want to use but would like to usethe rear air controls for my heat and ac. Any ideas how to do this, I am thinking of a jumper harness with a plug modifiedfor the older oem controls

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Extending the wires is not the problem, it's been done many times.

The problem is using the suburban rear control head with the front HVAC control. They're just not the same.

The only way you're going to know if that is going to work is to sit down with the wiring diagrams and trace it all out.

Even then it's probably going to be hold you breath and give 'er a try once it's all rewired....

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
I had this idea back when I was doing my OHC. There is just too many more controls for the fronts and not enough room up there. Unless you cut down the switches, knobs, and selectors, and make your own thing up there, it wont fit.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That was the plan to *** them down or make a extended side

Been done before. Old style fits best:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's one on an 02: http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161611

same idea with the 95-98, just more cutting and shaping. Would be a fair bit of work, it's not a small unit to squeeze in there. You would need the large style suburban overhead console to start with for sure...

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
Wow is all I have to say. I love this mod and I am totally going to do it. Should be real easy using factory plugs and just extending the wires........looks like a fun project. Now....just need the money to do it.

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
Went to Pick and Pull today and pulled apart the whole HVAC electronic controls from the dash to figure out how they did that mod in the picture above. The circuit board is in 2 pieces so they took the whole system out of the plastic surround. You can either cut the wires from the display to the other circuit board and extend those, or you can do the wire harness, which frankly looks a lot harder. When I do this I am going to leave the main board in the lower dash and extend the 16 wires from the display to the main board.....that seems easier. I am going to do this as soon as I can find a 94 HVAC control that matches my truck. I am going to modify the one from the wrecking yard so in case it no worky I will still have my original one.