Overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
My TC seems to be kicking in a little bit too early, its not undriveable or anything. Its almost like as soon as i hit 4th it engages, which is ok. Just didnt know if this was normal. I've heard great things about a aftermarket and 4.3 Converters. Also in Second Gear at WOT it feels as if The trans or somewere is slipping. not sure about it though, this is the first automatic i've owned.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it bog down? Might be a fuel filter? You would not believe how many come in here thinking they have a slip, only to be a fuel filter partially clogged. It locks up soon as it hits 4th? If you know someone with a scanner, you can watch the tcc as it engages. That would tell you if the computer is commanding it to lock up soon as it hits forth, or if its an internal issue.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I have scan xl, i'll see tonight if I can see the tcc lockup, I have a new fuel filter to install tonight actaully (I change it yearly) i'll let you know if it changes, never even thought of that.
It does lock up as soon as It hits 4th, which is at like 40mph if i'm off the throttle, then bog around 1000rpm, and 8/10 times it jumps in and out and back in 4th.. i never really thought of it as being an issue before, It would definately explain why I have trouble towing even the lightest trailer if i'm not in 3rd. Is there a way to disably the tcc, like via rocker switch. In the manual I got from you i looks like if the break switch is engaged it will unlock?

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is a vortec and does someting similar and I have anew fuel filter and a brand new AC delco spider system, so my issue is not fuel related.

My problem is that around 1,200 - 1,600 RPM it feels like my trans is "bogging" down the truck. For example, if I am cruising on the highway at 65mph, the truck will be in 4th gear. If I give it gas, it doesnt do much and just kind of sits there until I give it enough for it to kickdown. Another example is if I am doing 75mph and then stop accelerating to coast. As the RPM's come down, as soon as it hits about 1,500 the truck will start slowing down. It it is a comparable feeling to being in 4th gear and then putting it in 3rd...the feeling of when the transmission is stopping you.

My fluid is great, the trans shifts perfect at normal driving and WOT, no leaks, etc.

Could this be torque converter related.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds like the tcc regulator valve. When the valve is worn, the tcc will slip, then as you throttle it a little it increases the pressure and the RPM actually drops. Watching the data on a scanner will confirm. Watch the tcc slip, when locked up it should be 0-50. When the regulator valve is worn, it will slip around 150-200, then when you apply throttle it stops slipping and goes to zero. It creates a bogging feeling. That would be my first start.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Rhino, so it sounds like this is the part I should give a go:
http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/high-performance-transmission/parts/3111

I have replaced a valvebody before in my ford truck and it was pretty straight forward, would it be the same for the 4L60E....just drop the pan and unbolt it? Does anyone sell a complete assembly so i dont have to worry about dissambly and reaming? Do you sell one?

I have a corvette servo, 4th gear sonnax, and DeRale tranny pan that I will be installing in about 2 months when work slows down. I am planning on doing a higher stall converter from your website so i will be doing this TCC at the same time.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Jeff

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, that sonnax part is good, but the reamer to ream the valve-body is $100.00. And it has the potential to wear again. The best fix is http://www.teckpak-fitzall.com/spgm.cfm?id=A74741Q. Its only $15.00 and all you do is pull out the old valve and slide this one in. It has the o rings, and no moving parts so it simple and works awesome. I sell a valve body, but I really don't think you need one. Get that valve, pull the valve body and install it. You have the manual, its not a bad job changing it out. Put some grease in the check-ball holes to hold the balls in while stabbing the valve-body, and watch the 3 long bolts. Don't mix them up.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks great, thanks for the post. I am definetly going to give it a whirl. So with that part, no spring is needed in the reinstall?

I will give you a heads up when I order the TC with the higher stall.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Thats some good info, With my TC it will engage and disengage every time with the break pedal so i'm guessing its not electronic and likley the same problem. I'm looking to do a higher stall TC from you as well Rhino.. I'll Probably get one of these at the same time, Is there anything aftermarket that could interfere with the replacement? I have a trans that has been rebuilt.. all I was told is 'theres some better parts in there now'