Opinions About Muffler Sleeves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been talked about before but my search of the forums returned no hits. I have a 90 GMC Sierra 5.7l with stock exhaust. She has a hole in the muffler and it needs to be replaced. I am not a mechanic by trade but I do most of the work on my truck. I want to try and replace the muffler myself. I have read about using muffler sleeves. My exhaust pipes are good. What do ya'll think about using the sleeves? How hard of a job would it be to change the muffler? To me it looks pretty easy. But I'm not sure on using the sleeves or if I should just take it to a muffler shop. Money is tight. Thanks.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
I've heard of using the sleeves on exhaust pipe for a quick fix, but never on a muffler. Do you have a link to the specific product?

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Don't mess with a band aid fix. Cut the muffler out and replace. If you can't weld, you can use clamps and a short extension if you need too because of cutting pipes. Measure what you have and do a little searching for a suitable replacement.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry guys. The sleeves I was talking about actually go between the new muffler and the old pipes. They are held in place by clamps. I wasn't talking about patching up the hole in the muffler. I just always thought I had to take the truck to a shop and have a new muffler welded to the pipes. My brother was telling me about what he called sleeves to connect the new muffler to the pipes. Supposedly Autozone sells them. I've just never seen them before. Thanks.

Well I can't even find anything on the net. He called them muffler sleeves but that's obviously not the proper term. I have no idea what they are called. Sorry.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you wanna use the band clamps
You must be registered for see images attach
they work awesome I use them all the time on jobs I do

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Oh, that's much different. Nothing to see here, move along.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you. That's what I need. Sorry I didn't know what they were called.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, that's much different. Nothing to see here, move along.

Sorry super that I am not a mechanic. I thought the whole point of these forums was for the exchange of information. I appreciate those who did provide me the info I needed.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Sorry super that I am not a mechanic. I thought the whole point of these forums was for the exchange of information. I appreciate those who did provide me the info I needed.

I was joking. I misunderstood what you were talking about with "exhaust sleeve". I wasn't trying to diminish your question. I can see how somebody would call that an exhaust sleeve, but I thought you were talking about some kind of muffler patch.