Open element filter.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lance

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
O.k. I was gonna run a k&n open element filter (the round one) but was reading in the block egr thread an seen where some one said they are not good for the T.B.I. motor why is this?:hmm:
"Other then just pulling in hot air from the motor." is there any other reason for this any help would be app.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well, in my experience, hot air is only good for helping an engine warm up, hence the heat riser tube from the exhaust heat shield. Then cold air is needed because it's denser than hot air.

But another differing opinion seems to (i think) say that the hot air causes less pull for the engine, so it's less strenuous on the engine to pull the less-dense air in. That's what I gathered from his post, if I'm wrong I apologize in advance. He can probably tell you more in detail about what the open element does.

Have you thought about running an open element with a ducted shroud attached to a ram-air hood? That way when you open your hood, you see the nice big open element, but when you close it, the shroud covers the top and front half of the air cleaner, and the ductwork delivers cooler outside air via the port(s) in the front of the hood.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
6.5" wide and (2) 2.75" tall filters stacked with O-ring gasket between them, so they don't shift. It's temporary until i get my hood situated, then another filter is going on, so it'll be (3) 2.75" tall filters....that way my ram-air shield will fit them correctly.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
i run a 14x6 wix open element filter

Yeah, that's what one of our members uses....except i dont remember which brand filter. I know he got the el cheapo air cleaner but it only came with a 2" tall element, so it took us some time going thru the filters on the shelves till we found a stock replacement one that was big enough. It's whatever the cheap brand is at advance, I've been trying to talk him outta his old ram-air setup he replaced with the open element. :shrug:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
You're welcome man....and yeah, the kind he had on his was the closed air-cleaner with dual spouts and ductwork hooked to vent-ports on either side of radiator. Neat looking setup, I think he got it off a W30 olds or similar.