on quadrajets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey folks. I was entertaining the idea of rebuilding a quadrajet for use on a 454. I know that this is a carb that is either loved or hated, and from what I understand they got a bad rap because they did have some leak issues that can be addressed with bushings.

Since these things have been around since the 60's and used well into the 80's, there's a ton of them available and they can be had for cheap. They only come as 750 cfm or 800 cfm. My question is, how interchangeable are the parts from one q-jet to another? Does anyone know?

If you're wondering why in the world I would want to do this, it's because A) I hate TBI and computers on my vehicles. I work with computers all day and they have their place, but not on a BBC. B) I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible. Yes I'd love to be able to spend whatever amount of money it takes to buy a nice brand new carb from Jegs or Summit, but with a wife and 3 kids, a mortgage and all of that other jazz...it's just not feasible for me.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I havent done this on my chevy, but for my '65 Plymouth I bought a remanufactured Holley from National Carburetor. Cost me $250, and I couldnt be happier. It was like brand new coming out of the box, couldnt believe it. Thats an option i think you ouhght to explore.

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I havent done this on my chevy, but for my '65 Plymouth I bought a remanufactured Holley from National Carburetor. Cost me $250, and I couldnt be happier. It was like brand new coming out of the box, couldnt believe it. Thats an option i think you ouhght to explore.

Thanks for the feedback. I've got a freshly built 454 sitting back in new york waiting for me to retrieve it. Eventually it's going in the truck, but for now I am fed up with the TBI and computer crap. I'm going to give the q-jet a shot and see how it works out...doing my best to keep the cost low. I picked up what I hope is a useable core from Ebay and once it arrives I'll work it over. I've got an HEI distributor lying around and the last piece would be an intake with a spreadbore...then getting the fuel-feed sorted out.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
the problem with the qjet is most people dont understand how to tune them but they are one of the best carbs out there if tuned properly, racers only use holleys because they are easier to setup and they dont have a whole lot of time for messing around with changing conditions.

even holley themselves have stated the qjet is a superior carb.

now with the carb you have you need to check for warped base and if the top section is warped away from the middle section, and make sure down in the venturi that the screws in there have not broken the casting of the top section, common when they warp and you already seem to know about the throttle shaft bore leaking issue.

there were many variations and most of the time parts were not interchangeable.

this is the guy to talk to, there is nobody better.
http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the problem with the qjet is most people dont understand how to tune them but they are one of the best carbs out there if tuned properly, racers only use holleys because they are easier to setup and they dont have a whole lot of time for messing around with changing conditions.

even holley themselves have stated the qjet is a superior carb.

now with the carb you have you need to check for warped base and if the top section is warped away from the middle section, and make sure down in the venturi that the screws in there have not broken the casting of the top section, common when they warp and you already seem to know about the throttle shaft bore leaking issue.

there were many variations and most of the time parts were not interchangeable.

this is the guy to talk to, there is nobody better.
http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/

I picked up a book by Cliff Ruggles and I snagged a 1978 Q-Jet on Fleabay for $25 shipped. I *think* I managed to pull a 800 cfm unit. It needs some work but otherwise it's all there and assuming it's a rebuildable core, you can't beat $25. Unfortunately I know I'm going to end up dumping at least $130 into it to rebuild it. Thanks for the link, I'll check out what Sparky has to say.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
I love the way Qjet's operate, stomp the pedal - bog down - the all heck gets turned loose as you leave the guy beside you with a WT? look on his face. one very big mistake and largely unknown problem is the primary metering rods and power valve assy. be sure to pull it out, use either steel wool or fine fine sandpaper on the valve and in the bore it goes in. I have "repaired" so many Qjets by just this issue.