Old Bowtie Paint Writeup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I made this write up back on FSC a year or so ago, pretty interesting pictures of how my truck used to look in here.

-------

You must be registered for see images

began by popping the hood and taking off the 4 screws that hold the top of the grill Which are 8mm, and the 1 in middle in grille above bowtie. After that, take out your parking lamp housings, There is 4 screws on each one, take them out and unscrew the light bulbs.

Once you have them off, you will see a series of clips like the ones above, that one being in the center, will need a long screw driver (above) to push the clip down so you can slide the grill out, it takes patience, which I don't have much of.

Once the grill is out, then flip it around on the floor or something that wont scratch it all up, you will see the back of the bow tie, there is 2 nuts that have holes on top, they are for the plastic studs on the back of the bow tie, they come off a little rough, so don't reef on them.

Once it's off, you can either put it in a vice that you don't care about, or you can be like me and make a holder for it so it doesn't flip over while painting it, I took a piece of scrap wood and drilled two holes in it, simple.

I used VHT NiteShade paint, Anti-Rust Primer and Crystal Clear Enamel, and Mineral Spirits for wet sanding. I would of picked different paint, but this is all I have left.

I skipped some picture taking because I didn't want to risk my $700+ camera. But I simply sanded/wet sanded with 220 grit and a scotchbrite pad. until it was dull and rough.

VERY IMPORTANT, clean with soap and water then hand dry after sanding.

Anyways, heres 1 coat of primer, I added 2 more, after each coat of any paint, I brought it over to my kerosene heater and baked it on.

Heres when I'm all done, 9 coats of Nite Shades each baked and dried.

Once Done, Put it all backtogether the same way it came off, but in reverse of course.

------
Here's some old pictures of my truck..

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
damn, i just sprayed mine with DupliColor Low Gloss Black engine enamel, no primer or anything, never had a problem, except its low gloss, which i like.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
This write up is about 3 sprayings ago, I probably ought to paint it again now that I'm having my new grille colormatched.

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
It looks good and thanks for the write up.