Ok guys, not a GMT 400, but thinking about buying it... Vortec 350 swap??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
It might start as an easy 350 swap, but there is no telling how many gremlins you could end up chasing with that thing. However, it looks cool and would be bad to the bone with a built and fuel injected 350 in it! I say do it!

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Its probably never been titled. I'd get a notarized bill of sale where i could get a bonded title thru an insurance company. Costs $75 and its done. No BS.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know that kind of stuff will vary from state to state. Georgia for example is VERY "don't care" with titles for older vehicles, in fact to a surprising degree.

Here in Texas it cost me a decent chunk of change to do a title bond. Not cool.

If you actually want to drive that thing and enjoy it you may find yourself doing an entire chassis swap. I don't think I would do a Vortec 350 swap; LS would be the way to go. Or for simplicity's sake a carbed 350. I guess my way of thinking is, if you're going to go to the effort of wiring, fueling, etc. an FI engine it might as well have some real guts, Vortec 350 does not appeal to me.

Richard

98_k1500

Reaction score
^^ true. The easy route would buy a cheap 70s chevy with a 250 and 3 speed and swap bodies. Im in Mississippi, its easy to get titles here. Im not sure what i'd do with it if i got it, there is 1000 different ways to go.

Edit: Honestly, if the engine block is not messed up, i'd probably pull her down and hone the cylinders and just slap her back together. I'd like to just hear the thing run.

Last edited:

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saw that a couple days ago, its pretty cool. Don't think he is gonna get the $1000 he wants for it. If you buy it I wanna see it one day when you get it running! :p

98_k1500

Reaction score
Im hittin him hard for it right now. He has got a 72 camaro he is building and needs SBC parts, which i have a ton of. I may just end up with the thing. I just gotta keep myself from spending money on it. Im broke right now.

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol I know the feeling. Shoot what all parts you got? I always seem to need to buy some parts for my truck.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trailblazer chassis with the I6 or swap in an LSx.

I wouldn't waste any time trying to swap a Vortec into a stock chassis on this truck. The antiquated I beam front and more than likely low ratio rear end will take the fun out of a V8 swap. These trucks were built for farm use, not heavy travel. I work on a '49 Ford F2 for a guy that is pretty much stock. It is a blast to drive around town, but tops out at 50-55 mph on the highway due to the 4.86 rear gears. He has mentioned swapping out the I6 to a V8, but that would ruin the truck IMHO. It is just a nice old original truck that turns heads everywhere you go in it.

As for this international, there is very little restoration parts and service parts available for it due to its rarity. If the cab & bed are nice, then I would seriously consider a late model chassis for it. The trailblazer deal is closer in size to these old trucks. At that point the title doesn't really matter, but I would definitely get a bill of sale for future paperwork.